Topic: rear brake cable length '39 Merc

fordmerc    -- 04-27-2010 @ 12:37 PM
  How long is the rear emergency brake cable for '39 Merc?
(Part NO. 99A-2275)
(21A-2275 is too long at 106 1/4 in.)
How are the ends secured to the cable? Can I shorten a longer cable?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-27-2010 @ 1:03 PM
  will try to help,
the cable goes from on rear brake to the other, and has a bell crank up front under the drive shaft. 1/2
you have the right cable.,
you will have to remove BOTH rear brake drums,once that is done you will see on the forward shoe a lever, were the ball of the cable end goes into, it enters in the backing plate from the front. through a short tube,[ this may have been rusted and not there any more ]
so it start on one rear brake goes up front around the bell crank and back to the other rear brake,
hope this helps 39RAGTOPMAN,
any 39 to 48 rear backing plates are the same, FORD are the same as MERCURY,
IF YOU CAN POST A PICTURE. so we can see for more information

fordmerc    -- 04-27-2010 @ 2:19 PM
  got it - everything is intact and front cable perfect. Front cable travel is appropriate. The equalizer seems to be in the correct position relative to the front cable, so the best solution seems to be to shorten the rear cable (if the ball ends can be reattached safely) If I go that route, it might be easier to shorten to a known length rather than by trial and error. Any comment of reattaching the ball ends?

Bill4d1merc    -- 04-27-2010 @ 2:57 PM
  I looked this up in the chassis parts catalog and found the following info.
99A 2275 1941 @ 106.25" long
21A 2275 1942-48 @ 107.25"
I measured the old one from my 1941 Mercury and it measures 106.25"
I am not sure how the ends are secured but I would not try shortening them for fear they would fail.

Bill

This message was edited by Bill4d1merc on 4-27-10 @ 2:57 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-27-2010 @ 5:01 PM
  your cables seem to be stretched,
I sold a nos 39 MERCURY cable 3 months ago,
they made years ago a accessory GISMO that shortened the cables it was attached to the cable , one to each side and it drew the cable in,
very hard to explain,
if you find a old auto parts store, and have a old parts man he will know , what you are looking for.also
I would try looking for these on e-bay,
DENNIS CARPENTER has a new cable $20.00 says it fits your car,
120556588779 ON E-BAY NOW,
DO NOT REMOVE THE BALL ENDS,
make sure you adjust you brakes first,THEN ajust the hand brake,,,,
KEEP ON TRUCKING,,,!!!! 37RAGTOPMAN

fordmerc    -- 04-28-2010 @ 4:36 AM
  I suspect that the "stretch" is the problem. The system worked when the body was off. It worked until I drove it around the driveway and used it to hold on a hill. The cable I have is a "new" Carpenter cable. Of greatest interest is that the original cable on the car had one of those tensioning/shortening devices! I was afraid that the ends would have to remain there; there's too much risk to take a chance. I will install the shortening device. Thanks.

ford38v8    -- 04-28-2010 @ 3:31 PM
  fordmerc, The length of cables is an ongoing concern with NOS cables. I bought all new cables for my '38, and every one of them was longer than spec. The quality of NOS parts in general is hit & miss due to many of the parts available today were initially rejected by Ford as being usable only with extra work involved. These, then, were foisted onto the Dealers, who ran into the same installation problems, and pushed to the back of their own inventories. Now we have to deal with them!

The aftermarket cable shorteners can be found installed on probably most original cars out there today. They were on my car when I bought it too. I don't have them now, but I had to use up all my adjustment just to install the new cables.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-02-2010 @ 2:11 PM
  I never tried this but what if you made, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 spacers that you could crimp on,[ out of a metal rod cut a slit in it just wide enough for the cable just ahead of the origial cable ends, this would make the cable 1/2 to 1 inch shorter,
I am just throwing this out there,
I think there is enough room in by the hand brake levers,maybe worth a try,???
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

fordmerc    -- 05-08-2010 @ 6:36 AM
  Problem resolved: Dennis Carpenter had NOS 99A-2275. Installed it is clearly the correct length.
NOS 99A-2275 is 106.5 in long
(The previously installed 21A-2275 was 108.5 in long; that is too long to allow proper tensioning at the turnbuckle, even though I note that one supplier claims that number is only 106 in long and Bill quoted 107.25 from the chassis parts catalogue)
Bill's quotes are correct for the 99A-; too bad the repro suppliers didn't ask him first!
Cable shorteners are available, but since they put a loop in the cable the solution looks messy and I'd worry about cable integrity)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=1154