Topic: 1941 mercury convertible rebuild project

amesj    -- 08-27-2017 @ 11:10 AM
  New member,new project for an o'l man. 41 Merc. convertable. Need suggestions as to best basic repair,parts manual with good how to guidelines.
Plan of action: purchase needed items before and during rebuild.
Example: Conv. top * During inspection front wood bow and probably rear wood bow need repair/replace. Also front latch is broken. New top & pads... Already searching on line. But any experience with best vendors or left over items you may have. Tks in advance. Jb

TomO    -- 08-30-2017 @ 8:53 AM
  Welcome to the Forum, we will give you any help that we can.

You have an unique car, the 41 Mercury has many parts that were only used on it. There were some trim changes during the model year, so don't throw anything away.

The best book for repair techniques is the 39-48 Ford and Mercury Shop Manual. It is not a "How To" book, like the more modern shop manuals, but along with advice from the 39-41 V-8 Club Adviser, you should be able to keep your Mercury running and restore it to it's original glory.

The best parts book is the 39-48 Mercury Chassis Parts catalog along with the 38-39-40-41 Ford Chassis Parts Catalog. You will also need the 1941 Ford and Mercury Body Parts Catalog. The Body Parts Catalog does not have very many good illustrations, but has a good illustration of the top and its mechanism.

You may also use the V-8 Times article index for some of your research. A good source for old issues is the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum. They also have the 41-48 Ford Restoration book that will be useful to you.

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/index.html

Good luck and I will try to answer your new questions as they come up.

Tom

amesj    -- 09-07-2017 @ 6:00 PM
  Thanks Tom, Brought the car home over the weekend. Got it running via iv and am really pleased thus far. When thru the owners barn and located all trim (good shape). Went over,around, and under= very solid with only surface rust here and there. Believe it or not.... located a nos front header wood bow. Looks like I am missing connecting parts from the motors to the top>> need to research as I have no idea what they look like.
Purchased service manul, parts manual and will take it from there.

Jim

TomO    -- 09-10-2017 @ 8:56 AM
  I looked in the 1942 Body Parts catalog and they do not have a good drawing of the lift mechanism. The 41 and 42 Convertibles used a jackscrew type of lift mechanism, the 1940 used vacuum cylinders and 46-48 cars used hydraulic.

I have attached the drawing of the 1942 lift mechanism, it is different but similar to the 1941 lift mechanism.

If you want to stay all original, check with the 39-41 and the 42-48 Mercury advisors for drawings or photos of the lift mechanism. Another source would be the 41-42 Ford advisor. Their contact information can be found in the current edition of the Early Ford V-8 Club publication of the V-8 Times. Their advice is free to all Club members.

If you do not intend to restore the car to original, you can convert it it the later hydraulic system.

Tom

sq1954    -- 09-12-2017 @ 9:01 AM
  If You have any questions I also have a '41 Mercury convertible. I have owned it since 1973. I have done a lot of research on 41 Mercury so feel free to ask any questions. My email is squirefd@yahoo.com. I also know what is available or not. Parts are hard to find but I have been lucky so far.

amesj    -- 09-27-2017 @ 7:19 PM
  update: would you belive I located a NOS front wood header bow for (Ford) /Mercury. placing them side by side the o/a looks the same as the old one for my mercury, EXCEPT the larger drilled holes for the metal pins are *smaller on the new header than on my old header bow. I assume this bow may be for another year model. ?? basic part is exact except for 2 smaller holes on the R / L
I think by drilling these smaller holes to the correct size it would allow the header to drop down on the windshield frame for a good fit.
Thus far I have been unable to locate information or drawings to confirm this.

In the day was it a common practice to provide wood parts that would allow slight modifications to fit other year models?? Ford/Mercury

TomO    -- 09-28-2017 @ 6:42 AM
  I cannot give you an accurate answer to your question about wood parts being made to fit with small modifications.

The Body Parts Catalog shows that the front bow and the dowels were the same P/N from 1941 - 1948 for Fords and Mercury's. It is possible that someone fitted larger dowels to your windshield frame or that the bow that you purchased was a factory reject. In either case, unless you are going for point judging, I would drill out the holes and use the new bow. If you are going to have the car point judged, check with the V-8 Club's National adviser to see if the dimensions for the dowels are available and then measure yours.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 09-28-2017 @ 11:23 PM
  Uniquet (spelling) to the early 41 mercs was a Merc ONLY front parking lite. Different than the ford but similar and mounted in same place. Have seen and had 1 pair in 25 yrs. If you have an early one HOPE you have these special and impossible to find pair of lites. Good luck with your prodject. ken ct

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11130