Topic: 39 Mercury Fuel Pump

39mercury    -- 07-31-2017 @ 7:26 AM
  I replaced the fuel pump on my 39 Mercury a rebuilt pump from Mac's. My original pump was working ok it was however leaking around the diaphragm gasket. Both pumps look identical and have a glass fuel bowl. The new pump will not fill the glass bowl upon cranking the engine. This may sound like a dumb question, but do I need to 1. Prime the Carb with gas or 2. Fill the glass bowl with gas or 3. Do both 1 & 2.

ken ct.    -- 07-31-2017 @ 11:14 AM
  Glass bowl pumps didn't come out till 1947. What you bought from MAC'S is a cheap China repop. not even correct for late 36 to 40 Ford or Merc.Im out of the correct ones for those years but call Charlie Ny. He probably has one of them rebuilt. Cell 1-716-440-8952. ken ct.

carcrazy    -- 07-31-2017 @ 12:19 PM
  Are you sure there is enough gasoline in the fuel tank? Is the fuel line between the tank and the pump good and air-tight? Sometimes fuel lines will not leak fuel but will not hold a vacuum - this is not good enough for the pump to pull fuel up from the tank. Is the sealing gasket between the glass bowl on the fuel pump body good and tight? Check all of these items, rectify any problems you find and the engine should startup and run.

TomO    -- 08-01-2017 @ 7:42 AM
  Check that the sediment bowl is tight against the gasket and that the flange for the bowl is not warped from over-tightening the sediment bowl nut. The nut should be finger tight and you should not be able to turn the bowl.

Tom

39mercury    -- 08-07-2017 @ 1:46 PM
  I want to thank Ken ct., Car Crazy, and as always TomO for helping me solve my Fuel Pump issue. Actually this turned out to be a "self inflicted" problem. I swapped the old fuel pump bowl to the replacement fuel pump. Big Mistake!! The old bowl had AC molded in the glass so I decided to use it. I failed to notice that the inside diameter of old bowl is larger than the new one and this was causing a vacuum leak. So I put the bowl on which came with the replacement pump, cranked the engine to fill the bowl. After it was full a fellow old car buddy of mine gave the Carb a couple of shots of starting fluid and she fired right up and ran perfect. With no Leaks. I did not know that the Flathead did not use a glass bowl pump until 47. So my 39 must have had an aftermarket pump installed long before I became the caretaker. However they must have planned for one, because there was plenty of clearance between the block and bottom of the glass bowl to remove the glass bowl, with the pump installed. Once again the Forum is a great group. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11034