Topic: 1948 Mercury axle tube

topless48    -- 03-11-2017 @ 7:14 AM
  I would like to know the difference between 1948 Ford and 1948
Mercury axle housing.
I believe the spring perch length is different by four inches, to
achieve Mercury 118" wheelbase, as opposed to Ford 114" wheelbase.
Are the housing interchangeable ?
Thanks.

trjford8    -- 03-11-2017 @ 7:18 AM
  The Mercury uses the same rear end as the Ford. The spring perch distance on the rear is also the same as Ford. The Mercury gains the extra wheel base via the frame. The frame is 4" longer.

topless48    -- 03-11-2017 @ 8:16 AM
  Thank you for the responce.
I am attempting to install the drive train from a 48 Mercury in a 48 Ford frame.
When bolted up the torque tube extends too far forward.
If the rear ends are the same in ford and Merc, (torque tubes are the same length),
engine and transmission mounts are the same, there must be a difference somewhere
to make up for the ford shorter frame.

trjford8    -- 03-11-2017 @ 5:15 PM
  The torque tube would be longer as the motor and trans are moved forward in the Merc. You would use the Ford torque tube on the Merc rear end as the housings(axle housings) are the same. Your original question concerned the spring perches and the axle housing. I tried to address those issues. Sometimes communication via computer requires more specifics.

topless48    -- 03-12-2017 @ 10:55 AM
  Again thank you for your replies.
I have what I thought was a ford torque tube, has measured out the same as a merc TT,
71 7/8".
After your explanation, I checked and you are correct all the way around.
Shorter TT, and drive shaft.
Thank you.

TomO    -- 03-13-2017 @ 7:58 AM
  The P/N for the drive shaft and torque tube is the same for the 41-48 Ford and Mercury. I don't have the measurements of the torque tube, but the drive shaft is 67 3/4" long for both the Ford and Mercury.

The engine in the 41 -48 Mercury sits in approximately the same position as the Ford. There is considerably more room ahead of the engine to the grill on the Mercury to make up for the short Ford body on the longer 118" chassis.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-13-17 @ 8:02 AM

trjford8    -- 03-14-2017 @ 7:49 AM
  TomO, thanks for correcting me. I Always thought the motor in the Merc was moved forward slightly for weight transfer to the front end.

TomO    -- 03-14-2017 @ 9:51 AM
  Tom, your thoughts are what one would expect from an engineer, especially when you are talking about a more expensive car, but the bean counters won. Henry did not want the Mercury, it was forced down his throat by the dealers and he did not like the more expensive to make 39 and 40 Mercs.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=10583