Topic: 1946 Mercury brake drums

Peder D    -- 12-07-2016 @ 1:40 PM
  Hi again! The following message can also be read on The Ford Barn:

I must replace the right front brake drum. The brakes were repaired with new linings, master cylinder and lines back in 2005. The mechanic could not machine this drum because it was not original and advised me to buy the correct one. Have driven the car about 2000 miles since the total overhaul. Right front now squeaking and pulling when cold. Question: what is the correct drum for this car? Dimensions? Have an offer on a new American made drum, but vendor is asking if I need the studs as well? Should I order these as well? Am grateful for any help!!! Thanks, Peder

len47merc    -- 12-07-2016 @ 2:10 PM
  Peder - if you have not already call James at Gotham Auto Parts. (718) 878-3699. He has US made drums now and will responsibly help you through the decision process here.

As a general practice it is a good idea to replace the studs when changing pressed-on drums.

Btw - I believe two styles of drums were common for our '46s - '48s, those being one style that mounted outside the hub and pressed onto the studs until flush with the hub, and the other style being one that was sandwiched between the studs and the inside of the hub flange. Be sure you order your particular style.

Steve

CharlieStephens    -- 12-07-2016 @ 6:42 PM
  Are the drums the same as Ford?

Charlie Stephens

Peder D    -- 12-07-2016 @ 9:52 PM
  James at Gotham is my supplier. Just needed more opinions on what to do. At the moment, I don't know what style I have, but now realize there are 2 options...will check when garage temp. goes up....
It's always a pleasure doing business with James...very knowledgeable...
I would suppose that Ford uses the same dimension drum? 12 inch and 3 1/4 hole?
Thanks for your reply

Peder

len47merc    -- 12-08-2016 @ 5:16 AM
  Charlie - from my experience only (I could find no reference to the contrary in the '41-'48 Ford Book) I believe you would be correct to say the Mercury drums are the same as Ford if specifically referencing the '46-'48 period. James @ Gotham can confirm that.

I have pulled drums from both '46 & '47 Fords and found them to be identical to those on my '47 Merc.

EDIT - With the exception of trim and finish features, very few if any parts on the post-war '46-'48s were anything other than Ford parts on these years. Mercury-specific/branded parts began to show up (again) on the '49 and later models. Pretty safe to say the drums were Ford as well.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 12-8-16 @ 5:23 AM

TomO    -- 12-08-2016 @ 7:52 AM
  The brake drums on the Ford and Mercury are the same, 12" x 1 3/4" braking surface. Match the hub mounting style for the drum that you are replacing or buy the hub that matches the other front wheel. The studs will have to be swedged in and that requires a 35 ton press and the special tools. It is important that the studs be the correct ones for your drum and hub as the area to be swedged is critical. An incorrect stud will come loose or interfere with the wheel mounting.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=10329