Topic: Engine install

alsmith39    -- 08-12-2016 @ 2:41 PM
  I need to find someone in the Twin Cities area that works on Ford flatheads. I need to have my rebuilt engine installed in my 40. All of the front sheetmetal is removed etc. My problem is that the transmission is still in the car and I have not been able to fully line up the tranny and engine. this despite some excellent suggestions to me on this forum earlier.

cliftford    -- 08-13-2016 @ 4:40 PM
  I don't know what advice you have had, but how far will the trans go into the engine? If its a one in. gap or so, find an old input shaft and see if it will slide all the way into the clutch and pilot bearing. If not look for mis alignment of the clutch disc and flywheel or burrs on the shaft or clutch disc. If this all checks out, use 2 guide pins made by cutting the heads off 2 3" 3/8 bolts and screw them into the engine opposite each other at 9 and 3 oclock. this will help keep things square with each other and it should slide together.

alsmith39    -- 08-14-2016 @ 6:41 AM
  Thanks for the input. I had the engine professionally rebuilt and they also did the clutch and assured me that it was ready for mating the motor to the tranny. I did have the engine within one inch but couldn't get it any further in. I may have to take the transmission out if I cannot get the engine in. That may be a learning experience also.

cliftford    -- 08-14-2016 @ 8:40 AM
  Assuming that the clutch disc and pilot bearing are properly aligned,one other possibility: is the fork on the throw out shaft engaged in the notches on the TO bearing carrier? Or could it have the wrong pilot bearing installed? Just some thoughts.

kubes40    -- 08-15-2016 @ 7:06 AM
  If you truly have this installed within 1", then the input shaft is obviously through the clutch disc but not entering the pilot bearing. That leaves only two possible issues. One, the pilot bearing is incorrect and / or two, the disc and bearing are not properly aligned.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=9981