Topic: pulling block over anti-chatter rods

dixiedelux    -- 06-09-2016 @ 5:38 PM
  I have the engine in my 40 ready to pull out with the exception of chatter rod removal. At the frame, does it take an inserted square socket to remove chatter rod? I have chatter rods loosened at the block. Will the block side over the rod easily?

kubes40    -- 06-10-2016 @ 5:54 AM
  It is easier if you remove the rods at both ends. If you do not, you will bend them when removing the engine.

dixiedelux    -- 06-10-2016 @ 6:48 AM
  But it is not easy to remove from frame end! The other forums tell me a special socket is needed and from my vantage point there is very limited access to square drain plug. Can you elaborate on the process of removing the rod from the frame?

This message was edited by dixiedelux on 6-10-16 @ 7:19 AM

kubes40    -- 06-10-2016 @ 7:50 AM
  You must remove the transmission floor cover. Then, the two bolts are easily accessed.
The square head is 5/16". I am not certain if there is a tool you can purchase for this or not. I made one out of a hex key (AKA: allen wrench) that works wonderfully.

dixiedelux    -- 06-10-2016 @ 8:14 AM
  Well a hex key needs to be inserted. The way you are describing it, the socket is inserted from the top. Here is what I have: Mine looks like the rod had been flattened and a pin or stud with no head had been inserted through the flattened part and into the frame rail, but not through. The access I see is from the bottom. I have the transmission cover off. The top of the bolt is flush with the attachment end of the rod.

This message was edited by dixiedelux on 6-10-16 @ 8:18 AM

ken ct.    -- 06-10-2016 @ 12:25 PM
  The 5/16 square socket extention is availlible at most auto parts stores. The bolts go in from the top of the frame NOT the bottom. Whoever put them in from underneath put them in wrong. Roy Nacowich a vendor listed here has new ones. ken ct.

RAK402    -- 06-13-2016 @ 11:03 PM
  I have had the engine out of my 40 several times in the last 41 years.

Each time, I have taken those rods out. I don't remember it being especially difficult to get the rods out, but am not sure what I used for a tool to do it (last time the engine was out was in 2001).

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=9765