Topic: 40 Standard Production Figures and Questions

len47merc    -- 05-15-2016 @ 7:02 AM
  Mike - are these production figures correct for 40 stds or does this include deluxes as well (gleaned from a quite dated post on our Forum):

5-Window Coupe -- 33,693
Business Coupe -- 16,785
Tudor Sedan -- 150,933
Fordor Sedan -- 25,545
Station Wagon -- 4,469

If not what are the correct figures specific to 'standards' versus 'deluxes'?

And now for the really ignorant questions regarding standards: 1) Is the only difference between a standard business/opera coupe (01A-67A) and 5-window coupe (01A-77A) the jump seat/auxiliary seat versus the package tray, respectively?, 2) Were the headlight 'doors' for all Standards painted versus chrome? and lastly 3) Did all 40 Standards come with only 1 taillight (driver's side)?

Thanks in advance -

Steve

kubes40    -- 05-15-2016 @ 7:31 AM
  Wow! That's a lot of questions there Mister!!!
Okay, here we go: There were a total of 209414 of the so called "standard" models
built (really - "FordV8") for USA consumption. That breaks down to 143529 tudor sedans, 17380 fordor sedans, 32910 coupes and 15595 business coupes.
Deluxe models? There were a total of 316029 built for USA consumption. That breaks down to 166998 tudor sedans, 79040 fordor sedans, 27772 coupes, 19313 business coupes and 22906 convertible coupes.
My numbers include all engine configurations. In other words, cars equipped with the 60, 85 or 95 HP engines. As perhaps an interesting "side note" - all models received all engines. Yes, you read that correctly. All models - all engines. There were even 14 deluxe convertibles built with the 60Hp engine.
As far as the differences between the Ford V8 coupe and business coupe, well, in a "nutsh*ll" you are correct. The seating is the main difference. However, to accommodate the differences in seating, floor pans were different, upholstery was different, etc. One simply can't turn one model in to the other w/o a significant amount of necessary modifications.
The head lamp "doors" were always painted body color on the Ford V8 models.
The Ford V8 models were equipped with but one tail lamp as standard equipment. However, at least two states required two lamps and cars delivered to those states obviously would have had two lamps installed.
When a second tail lamp was required, a "replacement" fender was installed. Thus, there would be a reinforcement bracket surrounding the hole for the lamp bucket.
On the concourse, if you note a Ford V8 with two lamps, take a look at the reverse of the fender for that reinforcement bracket. If that (bracket) is missing, a certain point deduction would be in order.

Have a great day and, I hope I answered your questions fully.

Mike Kubarth

len47merc    -- 05-15-2016 @ 9:26 AM
  Sincere thanks Mike and my apologies for the high volume of questions. Heading out with my neighbor this week to look at this standard and these are the last bits of data needed to have in our negotiating belt. This 'standard' has so many apparent and possible variants/mods that I want to speak from a position of knowledge rather than assumption. After deep-diving into research several more unusual features popped up on this standard (e.g., chrome headlight doors versus painted, two taillights, possible combos of standards and deluxes, etc.) so your answers here and via pm I believe have me (us) as prepared as possible for the first on-site look at the car.

I thought others might appreciate the answers to these fundamentals (which I did not have a grasp on at all) so I posted it here. Really appreciate all your support Mike - best,

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-15-16 @ 9:27 AM

kubes40    -- 05-15-2016 @ 1:02 PM
  Steve,
I trust you realize I was just giving ya some friendly poopy! I enjoy answering these questions. It makes my little brain work...
I hope your visit and subsequent negotiations go well.

Mike

len47merc    -- 05-15-2016 @ 2:17 PM
  Everything's cool Mike - I reads 'em as you meant and as always really appreciate your weighing in with your knowledge. As committed earlier I'll send you some data on this vehicle after we see it for your records.

I'm a sponge here with so much to learn - looking at a 40 for my next project so using this as a welcome learning experience. Thanks again! -

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=9671