Topic: 1940 Super Deluxe Coupe - Correct Motor?

len47merc    -- 05-08-2016 @ 2:28 PM
  My '47 Merc has inspired my 67 year old neighbor to get in the market for a '40 Ford. He has found one being marketed as 'original' locally that at first blush looks good for the money. He's asking me for my input mechanically which I can handle for the most part, but one question has come up that I need help with as my reference library is limited to '46-'48.

Specifically - what is the period correct motor for a '40 Super Deluxe Coupe and what are the distinguishing indicator marks and components (e.g., what is the correct carb, distributor, heads, etc.) one should look for in an original? Thanks in advance -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-8-16 @ 2:31 PM

kubes40    -- 05-08-2016 @ 3:06 PM
  Heads will have an "A" cast upon them. Typically between the #2 and #3 spark plug and between the #6 and #7 spark plug.
Carburetor is a model 94 / 91-99. All of those numbers are cast upon the carburetor. There is an oblong vent hole in the upper cover - near the accelerator pump of the carburetor.
"Helmut" style distributor.
There is a so called "pencil test" that helps aid in identifying a correct '40 engine block. Place a pencil on the "shelf" just behind and above the timing gear cover. There should be enough of a "shelf" to allow the pencil to easily rest there. Unlike the engine in your car - having a definite "slope" in that area.

Fuel pump has an outlet that is about 1/4" lower than the inlet. NO glass bowl.

I am more than willing to help you and your friend appraise this car for both authenticity and value. If you so desire this help, no fee of course, email me. A few pictures sent my way would be a great aid to me and subsequently your friend.

By the way, there is no "super deluxe" in 1940. There is the model Ford V8, which many call the "standard" and the Deluxe.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 05-08-2016 @ 3:11 PM
  Steve, Ford did not make a '40 Super Deluxe Coupe. Ford made a Deluxe model and a Standard model. The front ends(grille and hood) were distinctly different from each other. In 40 there were two motors; The V-8 85 and the V-8 60. The 60 was a much smaller motor in size and horsepower. Either motor could be placed in the Deluxe or Standard. It should be determined which motor is in the car before being able to give specifics on the motor. If you are able to post photos a picture of the car and the engine compartment would be helpful.

len47merc    -- 05-08-2016 @ 3:32 PM
  Thanks Mike and trjford8. Clearly the 40's are out of my realm and I greatly appreciate your help. Interesting the seller is marketing it as a 'Super Deluxe'. I had a feeling there was more going here and smelled a changed motor even though the 'original' representation.

Heading next door to talk with my neighbor now. Will report back and Mike, greatly appreciate the valuation offer. Will keep everyone posted - sincere thanks,

Steve

kubes40    -- 05-08-2016 @ 6:59 PM
  Only 161 Deluxe model 1940 Fords were equipped with a 60HP engine. I probably should have addressed that in my first reply but figured the odds of this being one of those 161 were poor at best.

len47merc    -- 05-09-2016 @ 6:40 AM
  Thanks Mike. After doing some research have confirmed it to be a Standard.

Sent you a p.m. Mike btw.

Steve

CharlieStephens    -- 05-09-2016 @ 11:16 AM
  Like it or not remember that the '40 standard looks like the '39 deluxe instead of the "classic" '40.

Charlie Stephens

40V8Ranger    -- 05-10-2016 @ 12:33 PM
  Thats why the '40 standard is so beautiful. It resembles a '39 front end!

Thank you,
Scotty

len47merc    -- 05-10-2016 @ 2:07 PM
  I want to express my appreciation and thanks to Mike Kubarth for sharing his expertise and knowledge in support of my neighbor and myself on this car. Very generous help and insights - thanks so much Mike!

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=9648