Topic: Correct chassis component shade of black

RELDDS    -- 09-19-2015 @ 5:24 AM
  What is the current judging standard for the 1940 frame and chassis component shade of black. Thank you!

kubes40    -- 09-19-2015 @ 6:15 AM
  The current standard? I suppose this depends on who is judging your car and what day. Sorry, I am not attempting to be flippant. However, from a lot of personal experience, there does not seem to be much in the way of "standards" on the concourse.
Now, to address your question of "shade":
VERY difficult (impossible?)to detect with any authority whether your frame is too glossy vs. mine (just an example).
What I can tell you is the frames and multitude of chassis pieces were in fact painted with what most of us would describe as "gloss".
It is, in my opinion, important to understand that frames and other chassis parts were not filled and wet sanded prior to painting. Also, the paint was most certainly applied haphazardly and thinly. With that in mind, it is easy to understand why many believe the authentic "shade" was less than gloss. It simply did not hold up well nor for very long.
"Chassis black" is a color or shade if you will, "invented" to describe a sheen. Most of us "know it when we see it".
Bottom line as best as I can advise? Gloss black.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 09-19-2015 @ 1:10 PM
  With regard to Mike's pessimistic view of Concourse Judging, I must agree to the extent that as much of the judging process is a judgement call, and the Judges are severely limited in allotted time per car, a great deal can be overlooked or incorrectly judged. It is for this reason that a car must achieve Dearborn status at two meets in order to be awarded the Dearborn Medallion.

Mike's remarks on Chassis Black are (in his own favorite words), Spot On!
In addition to what he said, a last minute touch-up at the assembly line was often done, which consisted of a spray of quick-dry paint to areas that otherwise would have shown an unattractive surface rust at the dealership. This touch-up was done without benefit of masking, nor was particular care taken to prevent overspray, however, the person wielding that spray gun generally had considerable experience at the task. Note here that due primarily to the type of paint used, the touch-up could show a different degree of sheen than would be found elsewhere.

Alan

kubes40    -- 09-19-2015 @ 6:08 PM

This message was edited by kubes40 on 9-19-15 @ 6:08 PM

RELDDS    -- 09-20-2015 @ 3:53 AM
  Thank you for the info Mike! It's greatly appreciated.
Bob Lowery

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8994