Topic: 1940 std coupe mat on storage area floor behind se

std1940    -- 08-22-2015 @ 2:43 PM
  What color should the mat in the storage area behind the seat in a std 5 w coupe be with package tray?
Mine is black & believe to be original because I have owned car since 1961 & do not believe I replaced it. The front mat I replaced with black & now correcting with the benton grey mat. There is also a mat than transitions between the from & rear mat under seat that I know is original. It matches the benton grey front mat.
Thanks Tom.

kubes40    -- 08-22-2015 @ 4:29 PM
  Tom,
There was no "mat" so to speak behind the seat - in the storage area. Rather, a piece of tar impregnated paper, akin to modern roll roofing was glued to the floor between the partition boards and approximately 21" forward.
There was never a mat under the seat. However, there were "filler mats" - one on each side of the seat. They were Benton Gray, identical to the front floor mat and had a pebble "grain" also identical to the front mat perimeter.
I have had a number of extremely nice coupes with a rubber mat behind the seat. These were after market parts and NOT factory installed.
Your '40, purchased in 1961 was already 21 years old. Nearly all vehicles, even a well maintained car, typically saw numerous changes, both cosmetic and mechanical in that amount of time. Many appear authentic as they were done so long ago and a certain "patina" has often made these changes "blend" with the vehicle in whole.
Respectfully,
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-22-15 @ 4:32 PM

std1940    -- 08-23-2015 @ 5:11 AM
  Mike,
Thank you for the information.
The filler mats are only on each side of the seats.
I will have to investigate what is under that rear mat.
When I purchased car in 1961 the car had 21000 miles on it.
It had belonged to a teacher in my hometown and traded in towards a 1960 falcon ($75.00 trade in value) Salesman at dealer purchased and I a year later from him for $500.00.
I have the 5 original ford tires that came on the car in my garage.
Tom.

std1940    -- 08-23-2015 @ 2:54 PM
  Mike,
Here is a picture of my mat.
Does this look like any of the mats you have seen?
Under the mat there was dulled down black paint.
Tom.

kubes40    -- 08-23-2015 @ 5:09 PM
  yep - after market. Just tossed one about a month ago. Neat piece but brittle and not being authentic, I could not utilize.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8897