Topic: 1940 Ford Standard Coupe Rear Differential Upgrade

dynamicpix    -- 07-26-2015 @ 6:59 PM
  Hi. I am working on a 1940 Ford Standard Coupe V8 60hp all stock. Im looking to upgrade the stock 4.44 rear differential to a 4.11 or another ratio if possible. Has anyone done this while keeping the original motor? Also if possible would it make a noticeable improvement and worth doing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ron

TomO    -- 07-27-2015 @ 7:02 AM
  My guess is that a 4.11 would result in a little less pickup and a quieter engine at speeds above 40mph.

Tom

len47merc    -- 07-27-2015 @ 7:33 AM
  Ron - agree with Tom and add that another consideration is the speed, type of terrain and corresponding rpm you typically cruise at. A reasonable assumption is the 60 hp motor realizes optimum torque at an engineered/designed cruising speed for the time (likely 45 mph). If you change the rear to a 4.11 the optimum torque rpm (whatever that may be for a 60 hp motor - it is ~2,500 rpm for my '47 100 hp) will be realized at a higher speed for which air flow and wind restriction may exceed the 60 hp motor's power ability to comfortably and efficiently (i.e., without over-heating) maintain that speed, particularly over rolling terrain. Not to mention the suspension of the car was likely engineered to dovetail with these design/speed considerations as well. Something I'd give some thought to before making the change (typical cruising speed, type of terrain - slightly hilly, mostly flat, or mountainous - you typically drive on, optimum torque rpm, etc.).

Perhaps kubes40 has some hands-on experience here as well that will help you make this determination.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-27-15 @ 11:54 AM

kubes40    -- 07-27-2015 @ 3:05 PM
  Okay, I guess I was kind of, sort of, asked for my .02ยข so here it is:
LEAVE the 4:44 in place. I have had a few 60HP cars and even with the 4:44 they can barely get out of their own way when attempting to climb an aggressive grade.
There's a reason ol' Henry but that stiff gear in there - it's necessary!
Bottom line in my humble opinion? Leave it as it is. You will be sorely disappointed if you go to even a 4:11. A 3:78? Forget going up any hill... ain't gonna happen.
Respectfully, Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8797