Topic: Judging tie rod and drag link parts

plymboy    -- 07-18-2015 @ 3:05 PM
  On the 32-48 judging sheet it calls for an inspection of the tie rod ends and drag link. What is acceptable? Must they be Ford script? Sway bar also..

kubes40    -- 07-18-2015 @ 3:27 PM
  Tie rod ends were utilized with and without the Ford script. If without, then NOTHING is stamped in to the end.
The correct tie rod itself is an elusive piece these days. On one end, a tie rod end was integral of the rod. The other end had a threaded socket in which the tie rod end was threaded in to. In other words, the tie rods you most typically witness these days, the ones with the adjusting sleeve, are incorrect.

kubes40    -- 07-18-2015 @ 3:36 PM
  There were two designs of sway bars in 1940. The first, the so called "bellows" type was installed on all cars built through approximately March, 1940. You rarely see this type anymore as they were systematically replaced when a '40 Ford was serviced. Often times, this was done without the owners knowledge.
The second design utilized on later cars is the one you nearly always see these days. It utilizes "swivels" - one on each end.
The second design was better for a number of reasons. ALL Deluxe models were built with a sway bar. As a dealer installed option, the Ford V8 models could have had a sway bar fitted to it.
Technically, for judging purposes the early design should appear on all cars built prior to March, 1940.

plymboy    -- 07-18-2015 @ 5:35 PM
  I may not have been clear...the attached picture is what is commonly called the drag link..and yes one end has an attached rod end and the other is adjustable. Is there a passable repop ..Drake or Carpenter? Lastly tie rod ends, whats acceptable

plymboy    -- 07-18-2015 @ 5:38 PM
  On the sway bar I'am familiar with both types, early and late types. Are the repro's good to go or do I need to source nos

kubes40    -- 07-19-2015 @ 6:12 AM
  To reiterate: tie rod ends were originally installed with the Ford script and without. If without, NO markings are present.
I am not aware of any authentic sway bars being reproduced. Thus, NOS or good used is in my opinion, your only option. The later style is likely all you will find.

Kenneth M.    -- 07-27-2015 @ 3:07 PM
  It nice to see the picture now I know for sure that the one I got is correct. I will look on my other two fords to see if any of them are correct. Thanks Mike for the picture. The Voltage Regulator works great Thanks again.

Kenneth M. Stewart

kenburke    -- 07-28-2015 @ 2:46 PM
  Hi Mike, A note, my drag link, does have "Ford" lightly stamped into it. Its in the middle of the bar. Also, on another post on serial numbers, that chart is really and I do mean really informative. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8755