Topic: 40 manifold studs:

fortyford    -- 06-11-2015 @ 5:30 AM
  I had to take my manifolds to a machine shop to get the old bad thread studs removed.I got new studs for replacement and need to know what is the best nut and washer to use.I thought of using brass and don't know if I need a lock washer or not?Also,what is the best paint to use.I have already sand blasted them. Thanks,Russ

This message was edited by fortyford on 6-11-15 @ 5:34 AM

TomO    -- 06-11-2015 @ 6:48 AM
  Use the brass nuts with lock washers.

I like the cast iron colored hi temperature paint. I don't know which is best, but I used the Eastwood paint. I did have some rust issues after a few years.

I had my headers powder coated with a ceramic coating and that seems to be holding up very well.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-11-15 @ 6:50 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 06-11-2015 @ 10:23 AM
  Any thing exhaust related I always use Stainless Steel. It costs a little more but in the long run it's worth it. I also coat the threads with a product called Never-Sieze, it allows for easy removal in the future.

kubes40    -- 06-12-2015 @ 5:30 AM
  Fortyford,
If you are seeking to replicate the authentic attachments, then take TomO's advice. Originally a simple brass nut was utilized on each stud - no lock washer.
No anti-seize lubricants are necessary. Brass will not corrode and subsequently "attache" itself to the steel studs.
I powder finish all of my manifolds and have found that method to hold up extremely well.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

shogun1940    -- 06-12-2015 @ 12:51 PM
  if you want to get all the rust out try soaking in molasses and water.. youtube has a lot of videos about it..

woodiewagon46    -- 06-13-2015 @ 4:39 PM
  I can almost understand not wanting to use stainless steel hardware in the case of fine point judging, but not using Never Seize puzzles me. Steel studs into a cast iron block is just what Never Seize is made for. I have been using Never Seize for over 40 years and every time I remove a bolt or stud that was installed many years ago and it comes out like I just installed it, I remind my self why I use it. Anything that can make my job easier in the future I am all for.

TomO    -- 06-14-2015 @ 8:29 AM
  I agree that the using anti-seize on the end of the stud that goes into the manifold will keep the stud from rusting in place, but it is not needed and should not be used, on the part where the brass nuts are used.

I think that Mike's point is that with the brass nuts you will never break the stud or ruin the threads, so the anti-seize is not needed. He is also correct about the lock washer. It was not used by Ford and is not necessary with the brass nut.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8607