Topic: Front Spring

avrotom    -- 02-14-2015 @ 4:38 PM
  Mike, I must thank you for steering me to NOS on the springs for my '40. I have the front one powder coated and ready for final assy. The attached image should show the spring, the old cover and the proto type cover part that I did on my CNC mill with a 1/8 milling cutter. after a bit of programing, it cut the piece in a few minutes. Wish I new a tool and die machinist to help me out. I will do the real ones in SS. then just bend, straighten the spring and install. Sounds easy when you say it but I'm thinking it will be a bit of a chore. Thanks again for your wisdom.

avrotom    -- 02-14-2015 @ 4:40 PM
  First picture again

kubes40    -- 02-15-2015 @ 8:13 AM
  Glad you were able to acquire the NOS spring. By coincidence, I'd just installed the NOS springs I'd refinished on a project I am currently doing.

If you can flatten out the spring assembly, you'll find the covers only require patience to install correctly.

Do you have the old KRW catalog that depicts the fixture required?
If I can be of any help, email me... I'll do what I am able.
Kind regards,
Mike

avrotom    -- 02-15-2015 @ 9:55 AM
  Yes I have the KRW catalogue, and the fixture is already half made. I'll use a hydralic ram(porta power) to do the hard work. Have to make the installing tool that looks like a big pair of plyers yet. My old covers came off a 12 leaf spring and my NOS is an 11, and I may reduce it to 10, so some scaling of the cover will need to be done. I'll make "prototypes" till I get to the correct fit. Its all enjoyable work.

shogun1940    -- 02-21-2015 @ 6:17 PM
  where did you find a nos spring?? what is the exact measurement center to center of the mounts for a 40 spring???

kubes40    -- 02-22-2015 @ 6:39 AM
  Many guys often ask what the center to center length is of a "proper" spring.
One must realize there is no true "free (unloaded)" specification for this. Rather, there is a specification for a "loaded" spring. That is, when put under a prescribed amount of pressure (weight) the spring will flatten within a specified length.
And obviously, different springs (varying number of leaves) would have different specifications.

shogun1940    -- 02-24-2015 @ 5:26 PM
  I understand that part ,about the spring be loaded . What i would like to check is the distance between the wishbone mounts. Did you everhear of Eaton spring ,, they advertise that they make springs to original specs.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8210