Topic: 40 tailpipe

ronnie    -- 01-10-2015 @ 1:18 PM
  I have an original 40 tailpipe rear hanger ,I don't have the original tailpipe. The replacement tailpipes are to small to be clamped by the hanger. what is the original tailpipe OD at the where the rear clamp goes.Does anyone sell an correct size or do I need to have one made? I am wanting to have the car judged so I was wanting it to be the right size.

thanks very much
Ronnie

kubes40    -- 01-11-2015 @ 7:32 AM
  Good morning Ronnie, It is refreshing to see someone that actually wants to restore his car properly. You are becoming a "rare breed" and I commend you.

To answer your question, a correct tailpipe has a 1 1/2" inside diameter. That makes the outside diameter approximately 1 9/16".

I wonder of you truly have a correct hanger. The one pictured in the Clubs current '40 book is incorrect as are the current reproductions.
I have attached a photo herein that includes a (truly) correct rear pipe hanger.

I hope this helps.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ronnie    -- 01-11-2015 @ 9:16 AM
  Thanks Mike that helps a lot. I think I have the right tailpipe and the wrong rear hanger. It looks just like the hanger in the clubs 40 book and it was with the car when I got it. It's sure hard to restore a car when there are so much misinformation ot there and suppliers selling parts that are supposed to be correct.

thanks for the CORRECT information,

Ronnie

kubes40    -- 01-11-2015 @ 4:18 PM
  Ronnie, The photo in the current book depicts a service replacement part made some years after 1940. The identical hanger was sold widely throughout stores like Coast to Coast, Western Auto Supply, etc.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ronnie    -- 01-11-2015 @ 5:20 PM
  Thanks Kube

Ronnie

kenburke    -- 01-14-2015 @ 12:28 PM
  Michael,

Are you powder coating the hangers, and your recommendations on rust prevention? Thanks

kubes40    -- 01-14-2015 @ 5:21 PM
  I glass bead them to make a good surface for adhesion and paint them. They do not got hot enough to worry about the paint burning.
The original (NOS) hangers I have appear to have been dipped in some thin (black) paint.

ronnie    -- 01-14-2015 @ 5:59 PM
  Mike,
I thought about painting them with header(exaust) paint
thanks
Ronnie

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8092