Topic: 1940 Ford Hot Water Heater

robert993    -- 12-24-2014 @ 9:31 PM
  I recently bought this heater to install in my 1940 convertible. The car was restored in 1982 and received Dearborn and AACA Grand National awards in the early 1980's. I plan to seek a new Dearborn award in 2015, so the heater must be 100% correct. Can you tell me if both the heater and the switch are correct? Also, any recommendations on where I can send the heater to be restored?
Thanks for your help.

40 Coupe    -- 12-25-2014 @ 4:26 AM
  The heather appears to be correct. The switch is later. The 40 knob and bezel are different. The photo below is one of Kubes.

kubes40    -- 12-25-2014 @ 6:26 AM
  40coupe is correct. I'd like to add one more thing... the correct 40 switch has screw on terminals vs. the later solder connecters.
Mike Kubarth

robert993    -- 12-25-2014 @ 7:35 AM
  Thanks. This is very helpful since I now know what to look for. Any thoughts about where I can buy a correct switch, either original or reproduction?

kubes40    -- 12-25-2014 @ 9:18 AM
  Robert,
Authentic (correct) heater switches are tough to come by. Be careful in that a lot of folks advertise them as correct when in reality, they are not.
Also be aware that hot air switches differ from hot water switches.
Reproduction switches are not available. however, reproduction knobs are. Thus, if you locate a correct switch, do not be concerned with the knob condition.
Mike "Kube" Kibarth

Tom/SC    -- 12-27-2014 @ 4:19 PM
  Robert the heater switch that you have in your photo fits 1942 thru 48 Ford car. I understand that you desire to have a concourse correct car. However until you find a new or good use correct 40 switch, you can use the switch that you presently have. You can carefully drill very small holes in each one of the switch terminals. Then you can use very small screws and nuts to secure the terminals on the wiring harness to the switch. The correct 40 knob fits on the switch that you presently have. No this is not Concourse correct,but this will make your heater work for you until you can find a usable correct 40 Heater switch. and it does not in any way harm your wiring harness. Tom

Kenneth M.    -- 01-21-2015 @ 1:12 PM
  Thanks for the information about the heater switch. Mine is correct and I have a extra and it correct also. Got the screws.

Kenneth M. Stewart

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=8041