Topic: '40 Turn Signals

Sporty40/2    -- 06-23-2014 @ 10:57 AM
  I would like to install turn signals on my '40, but have run into a couple of problems. While attempting to order a signal kit from C&G, I was told that 6 volt bulbs were not available to use with the 01A-13200-T parking light turn signal kit. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed? Also, I'd like to install a Third Brake Light Turn Signal in the rear window. Where would that splice in? Thanks in advance for your response! Alan

carcrazy    -- 06-23-2014 @ 1:29 PM
  I installed a turn signal system on a 1940 Ford about 12 years ago and have a complete set of instructions including a master bill of materials on how to do it. I was able to package the front turn signal bulbs under the stock parking light lenses by using "Tail Light Wiring and Socket" V13410B (01C-13410) from MAC'S, "Bulb/Double Contact/ 21-3 CP Small Globe - 6 Volt" V13465HR6 also from MAC'S. I used Small Hose Clamps (5/16" to 7/8" Range) Part Number Ideal 6203, Steel Sheet Metal Strips of dimensions: 1 3/16" long X 1/2" wide X .050" thickness bent into an "L" shape, and Sheet Metal Screws 3/16" X 1/2" long to fasten the Sockets to the head light buckets. I know this sounds complicated so if you have any questions let me know.

cliftford    -- 06-23-2014 @ 2:56 PM
  If its a turn signal/brake light, attach each side to the corresponding brake/ turn light. If its just a brake light, attach it to switch on the master cylinder.

supereal    -- 06-23-2014 @ 3:58 PM
  You can install a LED light bar to serve as both a "third" stoplight and turn signals. Many conversions of the stock system to turn signals are not beneficial, as the original stop and parking lights are too small and dim to be seen, particularly in daylight. Most turn signal systems rely on a flasher that requires enough load to trigger it, and many 6 volt systems can't do it.

Sporty40/2    -- 06-24-2014 @ 3:54 AM
  Thanks carcrazy,cliftford & Supereal! I'll proceed from there. The only thing that bothers me about using an LED bar only is oncoming cars. Alan

supereal    -- 06-24-2014 @ 6:08 AM
  They are not bright enough to cause problems. I mounted mine on top of the rear license plate on open cars. The can be mounted in the rear window of closed cars. Mine is set up to flash when the brakes are applied, then go "solid" until the brakes are released. This warns those behind that i am preparing to stop. I was once rear ended by a truck. The driver said he didn't see my stop lights. The LED bar took care of that. In today's traffic, the stock lights just are not safe. That collision cost almost three thousand dollars, and laid up thr car for months.

Sporty40/2    -- 06-24-2014 @ 6:50 AM
  Thanks super! Do you ever have a problem at intersections with no front signals?
Alan

supereal    -- 06-24-2014 @ 3:29 PM
  Around here, in Iowa, apparently few drivers know how to use turn signals, anyway. The guy who rearended my '47 said he was so interested in my car he forgot to stop!

trjford8    -- 06-24-2014 @ 5:50 PM
  Sporty, most people rarely use parking lights. Use the single filament parking bulb for your turn signals. If you want them to be seen more readily you can buy yellow translucent paint at your local hobby store and paint the bulbs.

Sporty40/2    -- 06-25-2014 @ 2:09 PM
  Thanks supereal & triford8 for your comments & suggestions. As always, they're always appreciated.
Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7446