Topic: Disc Brakes

brobrobro    -- 05-22-2014 @ 10:28 AM
  I have not had good luck with new wheel cylinders and I am considering going to disc brakes. I have not found this topic so apologies if I missed it. Several "kits" offered. I am sure several people must have gone this way. What should I look for, what should I watch out for. Honing and sleeveing is an alternative, but I expect disc brakes will stop better.

My parents bought the Tudor new, purchase receipt attached.

supereal    -- 05-22-2014 @ 3:35 PM
  When replacement cylinders are readily available at a reasonable cost, converting to discs seems to be overkill. That job is complcated and expensive, and at the least requires a well adjusted proportioning valve to balance the front discs with the rear drums. When we install discs, we also use a dual master cylinder, If you want to see the type and cost of conversion, look at www.chassisengineeringinc. com

CharlieStephens    -- 05-22-2014 @ 10:20 PM
  If I was faced with your problem the first thing I would do is call Richard Lacy at earlyv8@aol.com, (626) 338-2282 to see if he can recommend a source for good wheel cylinders. If no luck there I would look in Hemming’s for a company to bore out and reline/rebuild original wheel cylinders. If I wanted better brakes I would ask Richard about Lincoln brakes. Converting to disc brakes would not even be on the list of possible solutions. If you want more information on disc brakes go to HAMB, http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

By the way, what kind of bad luck are you having with the original type wheel cylinders?

Charlie Stephens

TomO    -- 05-23-2014 @ 8:40 AM
  Brobrobro,

Evidently you have a very original car and it would be a shame to start modifying it before you have a chance to enjoy its original features and characteristics.

Tom

brobrobro    -- 05-24-2014 @ 1:32 PM
  Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. The car was the only vehicle my family had until 1955. I remember sitting in the back seat in my Sunday wool pants thinking how that mohair was sticking my behind. I drove it to high school, Jr College and first year at Cal. It had a Chevy in it for awhile and a hot flat head and now back to an original flat head. Lots of memories. Very frustrated with parts made in China and leaks. Thanks again.

TomO    -- 05-26-2014 @ 7:26 AM
  I am also very frustrated with poor quality parts, especially in the safety area like brakes, tires and fuel system components.

The only solution is to return the parts to the vendor and ask for compensation for the shipping charges. You probably won't get the compensation, but if enough of us start doing this, maybe we can get the vendors to pay attention to the quality.

There is nothing more frustrating then installing a brake component of a fuel component and then having it leak. There is absolutely no reason to have a part with threads that are not standard. The Chinese solution of thread pitch halfway between metric and SAE is shameful.

There are still some brake parts being made with safety and quality in mind. Check with an independent local parts house and ask for US brand parts.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7353