Topic: Need to replace the Clutch and Pressure Plate

Kenneth M.    -- 05-18-2014 @ 12:52 PM
  The wife and I went to the Steam Show in the 40 Ford and when we got there was a long line going in and the hill was steep which we only crept up the hill inches at a time the line moved super slow which did not do my clutch any good. When we got to the top it chattered pretty bad. I was planning changing it anyway later but I guess now. Where is the best place to get a good set-up clutch and pressure plate and throw-out bearing. No overseas junk. I want to do the job right.

Kenneth M. Stewart

ken ct.    -- 05-18-2014 @ 1:48 PM
  Fort Wayne Clutch as been mentioned many,many,many times on your favorite Ford Barn. ken Ct.

40 Coupe    -- 05-19-2014 @ 4:37 AM
  Don't forget to replace the transmission pilot bushing or bearing as well.

Kenneth M.    -- 05-19-2014 @ 6:24 AM
  I developed a lot of clutch chatter when getting the clutch hot going up that hill yesterday. When I take off in low gear the chatter is bad. Now when I got home backing up a grade into the garage no chatter in reverse? I will know more when I get it apart I guess. Just want to put good stuff in it.

Kenneth M. Stewart

40 Coupe    -- 05-19-2014 @ 12:47 PM
  Also look for soft or loose motor mount cushions, make sure the engine radius rods are tight, and there is not a lot of play in any of the clutch linkage. shocks and links are tight as well as the spring mounting U-bolts.

boss1940    -- 05-19-2014 @ 2:20 PM
  call Van Pelt sales in Ohio, Norm

39 Ken    -- 05-20-2014 @ 4:59 AM
  Ken that is likely a Ford or a reconditioned Ford clutch.
I would send that clutch and pressure plate to Ft. Wayne Clutch and have them rebuild that one the way you want it and it will be like a new one. That way you'll get yours back rather than one from a collection of parts from a barrel.

supereal    -- 05-20-2014 @ 5:26 AM
  A good clutch job includes resurfacing the flywheel. Years of use and the probable overheating of the slipping clutch has likely damaged it. Also inspect the inside of the clutch housing for signs of oil leakage when you have the flywheel out. Main culprits include the rear crankshaft main seal and the pipe plug that seals the oil gallery. Since the replacement of asbestos lining on the clutch disc with an "organic" material, any oil contamination will amplify the infamous Ford clutch "shudder" usually made worse by the worn out motor mounts.

TomO    -- 05-20-2014 @ 6:48 AM
  Ken, I agree with Supereal that you should have the flywheel resurfaced and with the others that recommended that you send your pressure plate and disc to Fort Wayne Clutch.

To remove the flywheel, you are going to have to remove the pan. This job is easier to do by pulling the engine. When you remove the flywheel, mark the crankshaft and flywheel with a center punch, so you can reinstall it in the same orientation. After installing it, check for any runout with a dial indicator.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7336