Topic: Original black paint match

40fordor    -- 02-10-2014 @ 2:42 PM
  I have original black paint and one rear fender must be repainted. Local painters tell me they cannot match the old Ford paint unless they use old lacquer paint. Any suggestions?
Don

kubes40    -- 02-10-2014 @ 3:27 PM
  Matching paint is an art upon itself. Matching black paints is perhaps one of the toughest colors to get correct.
A really good (and caring) painter can match the old finish with enamel. It will take him some concerted effort to do it properly so if you get a bill that seems high, think about it, as it may be fair considering the efforts required.

TomO    -- 02-11-2014 @ 7:35 AM
  The acrylic paints match the older enamels better than the urethane paints, but a good painter can get either to match as long as the complete panel is painted. You cannot blend the new paints with the old alkyd enamels used by Ford.

Black is one of the hardest colors to match because there are so many shading differences. When my car was black, I had to touch up some areas. I had the original paint, but the sun had faded the area enough that normal blending techniques did not work. Painting the whole panel worked great.

Tom

40fordor    -- 02-12-2014 @ 12:52 PM
  Mike & Tom, Thanks for your responses. I still have a quart of old acrylic lacquer black paint. This fender was bent and repaired with period "bondo" in the early 1960's. The bondo is now flaking off. That original painter is still in business and now claims that he painted the entire finder with acrylic lacquer back then.
The black match was excellent until the flaking off started. He thinks a good match can be obtained with my old can of paint.
As a side note to show how old memories can be different, the painter says he painted the entire fender and I remember that he only painted the repaired area. We are close friends and in our late 70,s. Thanks again.
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=7008