Topic: What to paint?

ronnie    -- 01-20-2014 @ 4:00 AM
  Hello,
Getting 40 Tudor ready to paint,does the underside of the cowl vent
Get body color(screen)? I know that the underside of deck lid and hinges get body color but how about the underside of package
Tray and spare tire hold down ,and hood prop?
Thanks for help
Ronnie

kubes40    -- 01-20-2014 @ 8:40 AM
  Ronnie,
The cowl vent lid was painted body colors on both sides. The screen was painted (dipped) black.
The "underside" of the package tray was also painted body color. However, little effort was taken to coat it. pretty much, whatever paint spray happened to get in that area, well, that was it.
Spare tire hold down? Do you mean the bracket? That was painted black.
The bolt, spring, clevis & cotter were left in their natural finishes. That being cadmium except for the pin which was plain steel.
Hood supports? Is that what you mean? They were black. The hood hinges, bolts, washers and safety wire were attached to the hood prior to painting. Thus, those pieces are all body color.

As a "rule of thumb" Ford painted the body (proper) body color in all areas easily seen by a consumer. Thus, inside of doors, quarter panels, dash & roof, and top of the floor pan typically got some over spray but were not likely to be painted in full. Not if the painter desired to maintain his career very long.
The underside of the floor did in fact get painted body color. However, here too there were some deviations. Little effort was taken to paint the underside of the floors a MATCHING color to the body. That means IF there was some (non) matching paint remaining in the spray gun, it would have (possibly) been used up on the next vehicle's floor (underside).
Cars that have been found absent of finish paint on the underside were unintended "oversights".
If you are doing a full, body off restoration I would advise you to paint all areas of the body, body color.
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-20-14 @ 8:47 AM

ronnie    -- 01-20-2014 @ 1:50 PM
  Thanks Mike that's what I needed know. Yea sorry I meant
Hood supports.Yes I am doing a body off restoration back to
Original.I hope to compete in concours,so I have a lot more
Questions
thanks again
Ronnie

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6934