Topic: Are 39 Blocks the same as 40 Engine Blocks

Kenneth M.    -- 01-02-2014 @ 3:08 PM
  My 40 Ford has the ledge behind the coil that you can law a pencil there so Its the correct block for the year. Now my 39 does not have that ledge behind the coil. Now the heads are correct but how do I tell what year the block is? I think it a later block but not sure.

Kenneth M. Stewart

kubes40    -- 01-02-2014 @ 7:11 PM
  1939 and '40 blocks are the same. There's a good chance your block is a later one with the '39 cylinder heads. That was a very common practice decades ago and is still done on occasion now if someone is attempting to pass off a later block as correct in a 38 - 40 vehicle.

ford38v8    -- 01-02-2014 @ 7:46 PM
  Ken, take a small mirror and flashlight, and look on the engine's bell housing, just visible at the top. What you are looking for is a large 59 cast into the block, with or without a letter code. If found, it will confirm what Kube suggests. Whether or not you find this identfier, look at the bottom side of the block (both sides), at the pan mounting area, for two small bumps on either side, which were on the original engine for your car, and not on the '42 and later engines. For the postwar engine, original heads would have been modified (flycut) to accomodate the wider stance of the valves on the later block.

Alan

kubes40    -- 01-03-2014 @ 6:17 AM
  Alan has added some great advice. Also, one more thing, easy to see... there should be NO raised surface beneath you valve chamber cover. That didn't happen until 1941.
Also, where the exhaust manifolds connect to the block: there should be a noticeable "protrusion in the casting there. About 5/16". Later blocks were fairly smooth there.

40guy    -- 01-03-2014 @ 8:41 AM
  Also; the 46-48 blocks {59 AB } the deck where the intake mounts drops off sharply towards the water pumps. The earlier { correct } blocks have a slight ridge with a more rounded curve instead of the more pronounced sharp drop.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6879