Topic: Appropriate tires and whitewall size

wmgmitchell    -- 12-31-2013 @ 4:56 PM
  Mike, what size whitewall do you think look best on a 40, and what brand of tires do you put on yours?

Bill

kubes40    -- 12-31-2013 @ 5:29 PM
  Hey Bill!
That's kind of a loaded question.
I always place the optional 6:50 x 16" tires on my '40 restorations. With the installation of NOS springs, that size just seems to fill out the fender openings so much nicer than the much smaller 6:00's.
The 6:50's are about 2 1/2" taller than the 6:00's and perhaps an inch or so wider.
Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich and Ford all supplied tires for installation upon the newly assembled '40 Fords. Most common were Firestone and Ford.
Double whites were the only white wall tire offered until very late May, 1940. Prior to that only black wall tires were installed. I suppose one could have had the dealer install single white's but proof of such an installation would be the burden of the vehicles owner during a concourse judging. It's been my experience that most judges either don't realize this fact or simply "look the other way".
That being understood, it obviously comes down to what you prefer and what your intentions are of the vehicle.
I would at the least like to gently coax you in to the 6:50's though

Have a wonderful new year!!!

wmgmitchell    -- 01-01-2014 @ 6:39 AM
  Thanks very much, Mike, for the excellent information. Do you recommend the extra wide whites or the narrower ones?

Naturally, I'll take your advice and go with the 650s.

Happy New Year!

Bill

kubes40    -- 01-01-2014 @ 10:06 AM
  Hi Bill, The authentic width of the whitewalls were approximately 3". The width varied amongst the numerous manufacturers but that's (3") the nominal width.
One question I should have asked previously...is this an 85HP or 95HP equipped car? I only ask as whitewalls were NEVER available upon a 60HP equipped car in 1940.

std1940    -- 01-01-2014 @ 1:25 PM
  Hi Mike,
What supplier are you using for your tires?
Thanks Tom.

kubes40    -- 01-01-2014 @ 3:04 PM
  The last four sets came from Coker.
As they all come from the exact same molds, I always shop for the best price. Not being loyal to Coker, if I find the next set (soon) cheaper, I'll "jump ship".

wmgmitchell    -- 01-02-2014 @ 6:47 AM
  Mike, my 40 is 85 HP.

This is great information!

Bill

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6874