Topic: My Project

Tybury23    -- 12-17-2013 @ 4:53 PM
  h*llo out there! I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone could help me out with identifying my Grandpa's Truck. I'm not sure of the year and would really like some insight to the vehicle if anyone can tell me a little bit from the pics I have.

trjford8    -- 12-17-2013 @ 6:09 PM
  Ty, your granpa's truck is the 42-47 Ford half ton pickup. Look under the hood to see if it is the 6 cylinder motor or the 8 cylinder (V-8) motor. They also came with the 4 speed transmission or the 3 speed transmission.

ford38v8    -- 12-17-2013 @ 6:31 PM
  Ty, Welcome to the Forum! Your Grandpa's truck looks to be in great condition, and a worthy project for your effort. I'm not a truck expert, but it looks to be a Ford Type 83 Light Duty Pickup, introduced for the 1942 Model Year, and continued throughout the war in limited production for civilian farm use, ending production in 1947. I believe yours is earlier than 1947, because that year, I believe, had chrome headlight doors, yours being painted.

One feature your truck has that I'm not sure about is the turn signals on the front fenders. Someone else may confirm if they are Ford or aftermarket. Serial numbers during the war is something else I'm not sure about, but if you determine the serial number, someone here likely can help with the exact year. If you have the paper title or registration, that will tell you the serial number and year your grandfather bought it, but basically, they were all the same during the war years, with options being two different V8 engines or an inline 6 cylinder engine, and two options on the transmission.

If you start to dismantle the truck for restoration. be sure to take lots of pictures during that process, and label every piece removed. Ask lots pf questions here and on the Fordbarn Forum, and there will be many willing and able to answer. Good luck, and keep us updated on your project with pictures, please!

Alan

ford38v8    -- 12-17-2013 @ 6:40 PM
  Ty, you might like to know, your model Ford Truck has a nickname... It's known as a "Jailbar Truck", a reference to the vertical bars of the grille!

Alan

supereal    -- 12-17-2013 @ 8:33 PM
  It was also known as the "waterfall" grille. There was some concern that the grille bars were not exactly parallel, but that was the way they were designed. It is possible that it could be a '44 or "45 model, as farmers were given access to new trucks in the name of providing for the war effort. Similar rules gave school busses where needed when non military sales were prohibited.

This message was edited by supereal on 12-17-13 @ 8:36 PM

Tybury23    -- 12-17-2013 @ 9:17 PM
  WoW thanks a lot for all of the Feedback everyone. I've been told that she might have been a 45 by another family member, but I'm just going to upload a few more photo's and let you guys go to town. Seems you know your sh*t haha.

This message was edited by Tybury23 on 12-18-13 @ 12:54 PM

Tybury23    -- 12-17-2013 @ 9:25 PM
  Here's One more Photo of the Plate on the firewall, I was wondering what the codes actually give you for information on the vehicle?

This message was edited by Tybury23 on 12-18-13 @ 12:54 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6825