Topic: Tire pressure for the 40 coupe

wmgmitchell    -- 11-19-2013 @ 8:17 AM
  Kube, what do you think is the best tire pressure for bias ply tires in a 40 coupe? I've read your earlier posts about experimentation and would like to know your findings and conclusions.

Bill

Bill

kubes40    -- 11-19-2013 @ 6:57 PM
  Cold, I like to run 30#. What have you found to offer the best ride?

trjford8    -- 11-19-2013 @ 7:07 PM
  Bill, I would go with the recommendations of the manufacturer. Those recommendations are based on a lot of research.

wmgmitchell    -- 11-20-2013 @ 6:48 AM
  I've been at 33 lbs which is too high. It rides a bit bumpy on our freeways. I'm going to try 30. I'm also going to try to find the recommended pressure and see what they have to say.

Thanks very much, guys.

I'm looking forward to that book!!!

Bill

40guy    -- 11-20-2013 @ 7:45 AM
  32 PSI is max recommended on the Ford script tires. So thats what I run.

kubes40    -- 11-20-2013 @ 8:27 AM
  FYI: The pressure (maximum) listed on the sidewall of any tire is just that - the maximum pressure that particular tire is designed for. It has nothing to do with what the vehicles manufacturer suggests for pressure on their particular vehicle / model, etc.
The vehicle manufacturer figures out the optimal balance of ride comfort & handling (safety)and advises per that research.

TomO    -- 11-20-2013 @ 9:45 AM
  My Ownwer's manual says 30# with 6.00 x 16 tires and 26# with 6.50 x 16 tires.

The age of the tires will make more of a difference than a couple of pound of pressure. Older tires will ride harder than new tires.

I find very little difference in the ride between 28 and 32#. I like to keep my 6.50 x 16 tires at 30# to keep the heat buildup down. The wear pattern bears out that this is a good pressure. At 26# I had excessive shoulder wear.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-20-2013 @ 3:12 PM
  The pressure is also dependent upon whether bias ply or radials are used. Older bias plies will ride as if the wheels are square. I have a set of Coker bias plies on my '47, and set them at 35 lbs to reduce the flat spotting common with that type of tire. The condition of your suspension and shocks is important. All tires gain pressure as they are driven and heat from flexing, and a couple of pounds pressure make little or no difference in handling or safety.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6728