Topic: Headlite doors

avrotom    -- 09-28-2013 @ 8:40 AM
  I purchased a set of new Drake Headlite doors for my '40 and found that they dont fit that well. Notch at top has no key to center the ring.
Screw hole at the bottom is 1/2 hole out of place (too low). I have the orig buckets and orig rings to go by, and drakes are out. Just thought others may want to know this.

40guy    -- 09-29-2013 @ 6:48 PM
  Just curious; where were they made?

TomO    -- 09-30-2013 @ 6:37 AM
  I hope that you returned them with comments about how they fit. It is very frustrating to order a part that has been reproduced for 35 years and find out that it was made poorly.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 10-01-2013 @ 8:41 AM
  I had the same issue with the rubber rear fender guards for my '46 woodie, a few of the mounting studs were 1/4" off. I was able to TIG new ones in the correct location. You have to remember you are not dealing with Ford dies and molds. I would send them back and find a set you can rechrome.

deuce_roadster    -- 10-01-2013 @ 10:07 AM
  I had a number of NOS in the package 40 headlight doors and of 7 of them, only 3 could be plated. The pot metal would blister. So keep in mind, it is a cr*p shoot when you try to plate them. Send in more then you need because there will be failures.

avrotom    -- 10-01-2013 @ 4:24 PM
  Thanks all for the comments, Don't know where they were made, just that the have Bob Drakes name and the part no.(01A13045B) on them. Too hard to send them back from Canada, I would loose the refund in BS. Plan is to de-rivet the threaded plate from the bucket, fab new ones with the hole in the rite place for these doors. I did advise BD but did not get a response.

trjford8    -- 10-01-2013 @ 5:10 PM
  I bought two sets of the 40 standard doors a couple of years ago and both fit fairly good. I did have drill the top and install a very small roll pin so they would drop into the notch at the top of the bucket. I did use original buckets in both cases. Perhaps the new ones are supposed to work with his new buckets?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6562