Topic: A Kangaroo clutch

Kenneth M.    -- 09-20-2013 @ 6:56 AM
  A friend came over with his 39 coupe and was asking what to do about his clutch? So I took his car for a drive and he surely has a kangaroo clutch. Should he need to replace both the clutch and pressure plate or just the pressure plate?

Kenneth M. Stewart

kubes40    -- 09-20-2013 @ 7:58 AM
  Ken,
When I ran my service garage many years ago I ALWAYS recommended that a client replace all THREE pieces of the clutch assembly. Those being the plate, disc and throwout bearing.
The few (very few) that insisted on replacing only the disc regretted that decision shortly thereafter. In fact, I can recall clearly the few vehicles (owners) that insisted on replacing just the disc. It ended up, as you can guess, costing much more in the long run. One, a Mustang, did not last a full week. he was back to get all the parts replaced at double the labor.
The cost of the parts is reasonable, the labor, not so reasonable.
Bottom line: why take a chance???

Kenneth M.    -- 09-20-2013 @ 3:58 PM
  Thanks that what I will do if he wants me to do it.When his wife she jumps higher then he does plus she barks the tires.She had it and wants it fix before she will drive it again.

Kenneth M. Stewart

woodiewagon46    -- 09-23-2013 @ 10:07 AM
  Kenneth, listen to Kubes, the work involved in replacing the clutch as you probably know, warrants changing ALL related components! Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish".

TomO    -- 09-24-2013 @ 6:09 AM
  When you replace the clutch, it is a good idea to check flywheel runout and the surface where the clutch rides for a smooth surface.

Make sure that the release fingers are blocked to release pressure on the disc when installing it and after it is installed, place a flat bar across the plate cover and measure the distance to each of the release fingers. The distance measured for each finger should be whithin .010" of each other.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6539