Topic: Engine Sheet Metal

Pete    -- 09-16-2013 @ 1:48 AM
  In the process of cleaning up a very original 40 Ford DeLuxe engine compartment I chose to remove a sheet metal piece located directly under the steering box. The only function appears to be a catch basin for a leaking steering box-----surely it had another function. There was nothing similar located on the right side of the engine.

kubes40    -- 09-16-2013 @ 6:07 AM
  All passenger cars were equipped with engine pans. Their purpose was twofold. One, they kept road debris form entering the engine compartment and two, helped control air (cooling) flow within the compartment. It is not uncommon for both pans to be absent on these cars. Often, a mechanic would remove them during a required repair and not replace them.
They were painted gloss black and fastened to the frame in three places with 39881-S7 screws. These screws had an indented head with an integral washer and were 7/16" across flats. At each attachment point an anti squeak pad, part number 48-6780, was placed between the pan and frame.
Engine Pans for 85 and 95 H.P. Engines
Vehicles equipped with 85 and 95 H.P. engines were fitted with a right pan, part number 91A-6775, and a left pan, part number 91A-6776. Around May 10, 1940 a 0.370" diameter drain hole was placed in the bottom of the left pan.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 09-16-2013 @ 8:08 AM
  These pans do make a difference in the cooling, but both pans must be installed to notice it.

Tom

Pete    -- 09-16-2013 @ 5:46 PM
  Thanks a bunch! I was tempted to leave the one on the left off the car but now I think I will try and find the one for the right side because it was missing. Past experience says they need all the cooling help possible.

Pete

Pete    -- 09-18-2013 @ 4:54 AM
  Having touched base with some of my contacts without success, perhaps one of the readers has a right hand engine sheet metal piece that I could buy?? Please state condition and price----you can reach me at petegruitch@yahoo.com. Thanks

TomO    -- 09-18-2013 @ 7:20 AM
  I have a pair in very good condition that I will sell. I will not break up the set. Send me a PM and I will send you photos and price.

Tom

Pete    -- 09-18-2013 @ 11:49 AM
  Sorry Tom, my seventy five year old mind is letting me down again-----what do you mean by a "PM" ? My email address is in my previous message. petegruitch@yahoo.com

Pete

TomO    -- 09-20-2013 @ 6:26 AM
  I will send a photo later today.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6529