Topic: Generator

kenburke    -- 08-10-2013 @ 4:32 PM
  Hi Mike, this is sort of deja vu stuff. Back in 03/2012, I asked " ... the "U" is for 40's, the trailing # is for a month. So, would a U1 or U3 been installed on a 40 with a Vin of 185339***? You suggested a "T" as a possiblity. So should I seek a T12 or maybe a U1? This is of course a best guess question with a non highly precision style answer being required. Also as for judging how would that work out? Thanks, Ken Burke

kubes40    -- 08-10-2013 @ 7:21 PM
  Hi Ken, ALWAYS good to hear from you.
As you know your question can't be answered definitively.
By the serial number, we can only offer an estimate as to when your car was assembled. We know for certain your engine / transmission assembly was built mid December, 1939. We can guess it was most likely installed in your vehicle within the next two to six weeks. That being the best "guess" as to when your car was assembled it would only be possible that your car was equipped with a generator manufactured prior to that date. So, a November, 1939 (T11), a December, 1939 (T12) or perhaps a January, 1940 (U1) or even a February, 1940 (U2) generator would have been installed upon your car. Is it possible a later (March, 1940 - U3) generator was installed? Well, possibly but most likely not.
Judging? I hate to say this but the reality remains most judges would have no clue as to date codes so at least at this point, I would not worry about the code too much. I'd worry more about the proper diameter pulley for an early car as it does seem a few more judges are becoming aware of the fact pulleys changed, very late, June, 1940 as I recall.
Hope this answers your questions.

Take care my friend,
Mike

40 Coupe    -- 08-11-2013 @ 4:33 AM
  It is possible that the generator was not manufactured in every month for the year of 39 or 40. They were made in large batches and when the supply was low another batch was produced. You may have a hard time finding an original stamped with the exact month you desire. Just coming close is very good! The identification of the body by the code will usually lead to the correct field windings and the correct number of posts on the body.

kubes40    -- 08-11-2013 @ 5:43 AM
  "40coupe", You bring forth a valid question. I suppose it is possible generators were not produced each and every month.
However, in reality, the sheer number that were produced would lead me to believe it was necessary to produce them each and every month. To skip an entire month would seem at least nearly impossible logistically.

TomO    -- 08-12-2013 @ 8:43 AM
  Mike,

Production of cars was not linear. There was a slow start in August to get the line set up, and then big burst in Oct, Nov.etc until late spring when there was a slow down to accommodate the next years model.

Generator production was probably a steady number each month as the surplus would go for replacements. At this late date, it would be very difficult to say what date code should be on any serial number. We have no idea how the generators were distributed to the production lines across the country and how many were designated for service replacements.

Tom

kenburke    -- 08-12-2013 @ 12:48 PM
  Great information as usual. Thanks everyone! Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6394