Topic: 1940 Coupe Scuff Plates

cefleenor@msn.com    -- 07-15-2013 @ 2:56 PM
  I bought a pair of door scuff plates with the attached rubber seals form Bob Drake and I can't figure how they install on the sill. From what it appears to me, the ends of the rubber seals need to be trimmed, but before I go cutting on brand new parts that cost me $95 I thought I'd ask the forum for guidance. I've searched the internet looking for pictures that show the scuff plates installed and can't find any with enough detail that shows me the orientation and the seal position. Can anyone help with pictures of installed scuff plates and their attached rubber seals? Thanks!

supereal    -- 07-16-2013 @ 10:16 AM
  Be sure you have the correct scuff plates before you cut anything. There are several different kinds for '40. The coupe shared the 01A-7713250/51 with the fordor sedan and sedan delivery. The convertible, tudor sedan, and the wagon used different scuff plates. Drake isn't always careful about sending the correct parts from our experience.

cefleenor@msn.com    -- 07-16-2013 @ 10:46 AM
  Thank you for the reply. Yes, they are the correct scuff plates for the Coupe, Fourdoor & Sedan Delivery.

kubes40    -- 07-16-2013 @ 12:48 PM
  The scuff plates are installed atop the sill / floor pan. The rounded end of the plate goes to the front of the car. I have attached a photo of that here. I will post two other photos in two separate posts to follow.
You will need to trim the rubber at each end to fit the door opening.
Too much trouble for ol' Bob D. to make them correctly I guess.
Anyway, you may very well find that the rubber sticks too much "straight out" to allow your doors to close properly. A heat gun, used with care, can relax the rubber somewhat.
I tend to buy these plates about a year before actually needing them. I fold the rubber over to simulate how it should be when installed, and bind them in the position. By the time I install them, the rubber is correctly positioned.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 07-16-2013 @ 12:48 PM
  This photo is the rearward end...

kubes40    -- 07-16-2013 @ 12:49 PM
  And one of the "overall" view...

cefleenor@msn.com    -- 07-17-2013 @ 10:41 AM
  Thank you very much, these are very helpful. I assumed that the floor mat/carpet fit under the rolled edge, and that the rolled end of the rolled edge would go to the front as it would be more visible than the back end, but it was the rubber seal with the edges that appeared to be too long that was throwing me. Thank you very much for clearing that up. Yes, I have discovered quite a few "quality" issues with Bob Drake parts, but they also occur with Dennis Carpenter parts too. Must be the "offshore" suppliers they are buying them from.

supereal    -- 07-17-2013 @ 11:00 AM
  Drake and Carpenter often trade specialty parts. Drake has made the solid parts, usually, and Carpenter turns out the softer stuff, such as plastic and rubber. Due to the limited market, it isn't feasable for everyone to manufacture everything. It is the "off shore" parts that have been causing problems, for the most part.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6312