Topic: 1940 FORD CUTAWAY CHASSIS

CHEVDEALER    -- 06-27-2013 @ 8:32 AM
  I have a complete 1940 Ford cut-away chassis that I am looking for any information or pictures of its history. Any help is greatly appreciated. Chevdealer@aol.com

supereal    -- 06-27-2013 @ 3:01 PM
  I'm sure the Early Ford Foundation would be interested.

trjford8    -- 06-27-2013 @ 5:23 PM
  Check with the Early Ford V-8 Foundation. I suspect that chassis may have been on display at one of the world's fairs in 1940. www.fordv8foundation.org

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-27-13 @ 5:24 PM

40 Coupe    -- 06-28-2013 @ 3:56 AM
  A photo of the chassis would be helpful in identification. There have been several books published with photos of both the expositions during 1939-40. Ford displayed several cut-away chassis over the early years of the V8, as well as cut-away engines. Back in the 1930s Ford often displayed at tents set up at Community fairs, as well as special buildings built at worlds fairs and expositions which were held yearly changing location and display each year.

woodiewagon46    -- 06-29-2013 @ 5:26 PM
  As 40 Coupe says there were several cut away chassis displayed by Ford. It is going to be hard to identify your chassis because it looks like someone has repainted it maroon. All the pictures that I have seen, the chassis was stock except for minor "dress up" chromed part's such as shock absorbers, steering column, bumper brackets etc. and each one was different. Is there a chassis number that you can use for research?

woodiewagon46    -- 06-30-2013 @ 11:28 AM
  Chevdealer, I found a few Ford cutaway pictures in my collection. The1935 "revolving" chassis displayed at the Convention Hall in Detroit was indeed black or a dark color with some "dress up chrome". The chassis displayed in the 1935 New York Auto Show looks like it was painted white or some other light color. The 1937 "revolving" chassis displayed at the Ford Rotunda was also painted a light color. The fact that your chassis is of a maroon color could help you on your search. I'm still looking but haven't seen any cutaways past 1937 but I'M sure I have seen 1940 cutaways somewhere.

CHEVDEALER    -- 07-01-2013 @ 7:18 AM
  The 1940 Ford Cut-Away chassis is a factory maroon color. In some of the cutaway sections, it is painted as follows: yellow is exhaust, green is water, blue is fuel and red is brakes. Not only is the motor, transmission and rear-end cutaway, but the muffler and fuel tank are cutaway.On the driver side, the wheels and brake drums are cutaway and embellished with chrome showing the hydraulic brakes. Each cutaway section was painted yellow gold around the area to show where it was cutaway. The only serial number we can find is star (*) number 1. The chassis is held up by four wooden pedestals and the motor, transmission, rear-end turn over very slowly. Thank you very much for your time.

mdurhan    -- 07-04-2013 @ 6:49 PM
  Chevdeal: I supplied some responses to your cut-a-way post over under General Ford Discussion. Mike

"With all our technical expertise and intellectual arrogance, we have become the cleverest fools in world history." - J.I. Packer

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6230