Topic: radio boot

beau    -- 06-06-2013 @ 9:15 AM
  Hey guys I'm looking for a radio boot,, no one has them in stock,, anyone know of any or hav one that they my be willing to part with?
THX
Beau

supereal    -- 06-08-2013 @ 1:03 PM
  I'm assuming the by "boot", you mean the seal between the antenna and the roof. I haven't seen this part sold separately, but C&G lists four antenna assemblies for the '40: std pasenger, deluxe pssenger, convertible, and wagon. You may have to buy the whole thing to get the seal.

TomO    -- 06-11-2013 @ 6:39 AM
  The "boot" is the seal that goes between the radio and the speaker grill. It is supposed to reduce rattles and improve sound. I did not notice any improvement on my radio. The Mercury has a plastic radio grill, not the potmetal type on the Ford.

Tom

Stroker    -- 06-11-2013 @ 4:36 PM
  My 38 has a foam rubber biscuit ("donut"?)between the outside frame for the speaker and the dash. It would appear that its' purpose was, (as Tom O suggested), to dampen unwanted speaker vibration, as well as to direct the sound through the speaker grille. I would think that any high-density closed-cell foam could be used to replicate this unavailable part. If you trial-fit the radio, you should get an idea of how thick this "boot" should be to close the gap between the radio speaker and the inside surface of the dash behind the grille. I am contemplating doing so, as my original 75 year-old part has become somewhat petrified. No one makes these, as there are so few of us that need them.

beau    -- 06-17-2013 @ 6:38 PM
  Thanks guys,, yeah I am looking for the Boot/Donut seal that goes between the radio and dash,, will try the high-density foam .
Thx

deuce_roadster    -- 06-17-2013 @ 8:07 PM
  If it is a 40 Ford boot you are looking for, they are a bit complicated in construction. I would think it would be difficult to make something that would fit right. Have you seen one and how they fit?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=6131