Topic: window bug loacations

deuce_roadster    -- 04-27-2013 @ 5:57 PM
  Hey Mike, Did the guys on the assembly line pay any attention to whether the bugs were readable from the inside or out or were to the front or back edge of the window? For instance, the slider windows on my wagon rear doors and quarters. The rectangular windows could have the bug towards the front of the car or toward the rear. I think you have done a wagon so maybe you have researched this. I think I read something about this on either this site or Fordbarn, but can't find anything when I search.

supereal    -- 04-27-2013 @ 7:40 PM
  The"bugs" were applied as the glass panels came down the line without regard as to whether they would be inside or out. The Club's excellent 41-48 book covers this subject.

deuce_roadster    -- 04-27-2013 @ 8:14 PM
  Thanks. I can't imagine the workers had time to worry about such things while installing the glass.

kubes40    -- 04-28-2013 @ 5:36 AM
  Actually the glass was installed so the "bugs" would read from the outside on the right side of the car. On the left side of the car, the "bugs" would be read from the inside.

Each piece of glass was etched on the same side. So, when installing, simply by function of that (etching) placement, the glass would be "read" as described above.

In the case of your rear slider windows it remained possible that they would have been installed where a couple could have been read from either side.
However, most likely a worker would have lifted a pane and installed it the same exact way, every time. Sure, he could have flipped one now and then but one needs to understand the assembly line process... not too much was left to "chance".
The authentic wagons I have witnessed had the rear sliders "bugged" nearest their respective wood post.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 4-28-13 @ 5:41 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 04-28-2013 @ 7:34 AM
  Check out Roy Nacewicz at 734-654-9450, he sells a kit for Carleton Glass, they have a very detailed sheet that gives the correct location of all the "bugs". Some "bugs" were readable from the inside and some were reversed, but Carlton explains all of this. The etching kit that he sells is custom made to etch on the proper date and other info.

deuce_roadster    -- 04-28-2013 @ 8:43 AM
  Thanks Mike, (and Woodiwagon46) VERY helpful info.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5977