Topic: Clutch Petal Adjustment

robert993    -- 04-22-2013 @ 5:00 PM
  Thanks for your help with my leaf spring lube question, and I have another question. My clutch engages at the top of its travel, with no free play. I see how it is adjusted by turning the clevis in (picture). I am concerned that once the clevis pin is removed and the clevis disconnected from the clutch shaft arm, it will be very difficult to move the arm due to resistance from the clutch spring. Also, is this adjustment made from underneath the car, or inside the car by removing a floorboard?

supereal    -- 04-22-2013 @ 6:23 PM
  The clutch arm stays in place when you remove the clevis pin. The pedal return spring isn't strong, and shouldn't present a problem. Adjust for about an inch of free play before the release bearing hits the pressure plate arms when the pedal is pushed. Usually, the clevis can be reached from underneath. Be sure to cinch up the locknut on the release shaft after reaching the correct adjustment, and replace the cotter in the pin.

TomO    -- 04-23-2013 @ 6:53 AM
  Robert, your concern about not being able to get the clevis pin back in the arm is needless. The pressure plate has the strong springs and there should be no pressure on the throwout bearing from the pressure plate. The throwout bearing spring and the clutch pedal spring are not very strong.

Adjust the free play with the floorboards in place as they can affect the adjustment.

Tom

robert993    -- 04-23-2013 @ 6:36 PM
  I appreciate your help. I should be able to do the adjustment tomorrow or Thurs and will post the results.

robert993    -- 04-25-2013 @ 6:25 PM
  I removed the clevis pin, had to drive it out with a hammer since there was so much pressure from the clutch spring. Then adjusted the clevis to obtain correct pedal free play. Reinserting the pin is no problem when there is some free play. Thanks for your help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5959