Topic: Garnish Moldings Windshield & Door Color

FRITZ47    -- 03-24-2013 @ 10:52 AM
  Does anyone have any good pictures of the inner windshield and door garnish moldings on my 1940 Ford DeLuxe Convertible? Any forumulas? In checking old forum posts, found the crossover paint codes for the dashboard (maroon and rose sand), but what about the garnish moldings?

Attached picture of my interior - I am almost sure the door garnish moldings are not correct and not sure of the steeering wheel. The windshield garnish molding does not show up and has been sandbasted and primed since - ready for our artist to wood grain.
Thanks, FRITZ

deuce_roadster    -- 03-24-2013 @ 11:32 AM
  Fritz, looks like you are starting with a pretty nice car to begin with. Lucky you! Your door garnish mouldings should be grained at the same time the windshield garnishes are done. Can't tell from the picture so much but it could be that they are the base color and just need to be grained. Your woodgrainer should know. Kube posted a picture of a deluxe coupe interior that should give you a good idea as to which way the graining goes on the garnish.
P.S. Is that shag carpet protecting a rubber mat? Carpenter makes a fairly correct Benton gray mat for the front according to Kube.

FRITZ47    -- 03-25-2013 @ 7:46 PM
  Thanks for the help. I copied the photo previously posted, along with many other '40 Ford interiors and our graphic artist is picking up the inner windshield and door garnish moldting tomorrow. He is an old timer and does all of our wood graining, although it is kind of hard to determine the perfect coloring from pictures on the Internet or anywhere else for that matter.

I already ordered a Benton rubber mat from Carpenter and it came in last week (looks great). I also ordered a taupe mat for my '36 Cabriolet and next week will try to get some comparitive (side-by-side) pictures. The shag carpet is being tossed - just leaving in for awile while we do the under dash wiring.

What started out as a quick touchup ended being like most of our other touchups - a full restortion. We now have the hood, doors, front fenders all off. Tomorrow the rear fenders come off, so it is pretty well sripped down for painting. We were very fortunate in that there was never even one spot of rust and while we can handle patching and leading (we use the real stuff), makes our life a lot easier.

I plan to order the dash paint, per info from this forum, as we went this far and want to make it as near perfect (and original) as much as possible. The car has a Columbia rear end and all of the chrome is perfect, other than the headlight doors that were ordered from Bob Drake (really nice too).

Interior is also perfect except the door panels were buckled at the bottom. I ordered a pair from LeBaron Bonney. These are promised for early to mid-April. I will post more pictures as the job progresses, once we start to make some serious headway.

Monday. we stopped to install a new chrome windshield frame for our '36 Cabriolet, and as we tightened the last screw......C r a a a a c k! (Ouch). Looking closely at the new frame, see it has a slight bend at the top RH corner - not much, but probably was what caused the trouble. Tomorrow our glass man will be in to see what he can do and hope he has the usual answers.

Thanks for all of the ideas and assistance - I greatly appreciate this. We have the following flathead Fords in our collection, in addition to our 1940 convertible: 1936 Cabriolet - maroon in mint condition (older restoration to original specs), 1936 Ford Street Rod Convertible and 1937 Ford Street Rod Tudor (both fiberglass bodies and both perfect - owned by my son). Also my son's '36 Ford Coupe (Rat Rod basket case for later), a 1937 Ford Fire Truck with only 2282 original miles (very neat truck), a 1951 Ford Stake we restored to original about 10 years ago (23,000 original miles), and a 1953 9-passenger station wagon (red & white) restored to original by previous owner. Also a nice 1947 convertible - ivory. We have other newer Fords (1958 Fire Truck and 1959 Galaxie Convertible), as well as a mint original 1958 Continental 2-door HT (50,000 original miles). (Also 3 Model A Fords and lots of other goodies).

These cars can be seen at www.tipcars.us Click on "Latest Additions" at top RH corner of Home Page.

Fritz

This message was edited by FRITZ47 on 3-25-13 @ 7:48 PM

FRITZ47    -- 03-26-2013 @ 6:00 PM
  I checked the Internet for more pictures of the wood grain on the ganish moldings, and it appears that the grain runs horizontal to the direction of the moldings, on each side of the windshield and the door garnish moldings. I have the formulas for the dash and am wondering how close the windshield garnish moldings (in color) are to the top of the dash maroon color. From the picture posted (see attached), it appears that the garnish molding color is sort of a redish brown. Just trying to figure this out and nothing to look at locally.

Fritz

supereal    -- 03-26-2013 @ 7:04 PM
  I always use the special cup washers under the heads of all garnish screws. They protect both against breakage and the marring of new paint. I learned that trick from the excellent auto trim shop that does our work.

FRITZ47    -- 03-27-2013 @ 5:39 PM
  Lood what our graphic artist just sent - looks perfect to me and will be duplicated exactly for my 40 Ford. I don't know how or where he found this - evidently his sources are better than mine!

Fritz

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5861