Topic: RADIO HOLD DOWN BOLT?

FRITZ47    -- 03-21-2013 @ 7:56 PM
  My 1940 Ford Convertible has a large bolt going through the dash (just in front of the windshield wiper control knob as you look out the windshield. Bolt is an ugly hex head with a washer. It is about a 1/2" fine thread and definitely used to hold the radio in place, but surely needs something to cover it, as it just doesn't seem ight.

deuce_roadster    -- 03-21-2013 @ 8:14 PM
  Fritz, if you get all the pieces for the antenna and look at them you will find a part that covers this special "bolt". If you don't have the proper antenna, make sure you get one for an open car/wagon as it is differnt from the closed cars.

deuce_roadster    -- 03-21-2013 @ 8:19 PM
  Uh, I just looked at the picture and what you have there definitely is not the part that screws in there. What fits there is a special fitting that actually makes the connection between the antenna and the radio and has threads on both ends. Yeah, very ugly, hope it didn't ruin the threads in the radio.

FRITZ47    -- 03-21-2013 @ 8:30 PM
  Here is a picture of a knob at top inside center of the windshield near the clamp where top connects. I guess the antenna wire runs down the center behind the garnish molding. This knob turns the antenna back and forth when knob is turned. I'm confused.

Fritz

40 Coupe    -- 03-22-2013 @ 4:28 AM
  The original antenna connected to the special hold down nut (bolt) that is supposed to be in the top hole of the dash and radio. It would appear your radio was modified for a modern antenna connection and you are not using the original antenna connection. So you are missing some parts and to hold the radio in place the large bolt was added. If you look in Mac's Antique auto parts catalog you can see all the parts of the original antenna P/N 01A-18813-C The special hold down nut 01A-18808 (actually a bolt) With the removal of the appearance offending bolt and the addition of the proper special nut (Bolt) if the threads in the top of the radio have not been damaged and the addition of the missing parts your dash should appear as original.

FRITZ47    -- 03-22-2013 @ 8:08 PM
  Thank you very much. I foundd the part and will be placing an order next week.

Fritz

TomO    -- 03-24-2013 @ 10:57 AM
  You may also need the internal parts to connect the stock roof mounted antenna. You will have to get them from someone that repairs antique radios and has a prts radio.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5851