Topic: double whitewall cutoff point

deuce_roadster    -- 03-18-2013 @ 8:41 PM
  Mike, In a previous post I think you mentioned that the single whitewalls on a 40 were only on late cars. My car has a vin of 18-5858480. Which is toward the end of the run but I was wondering if double whitewalls would be considered wrong on this car. The reason I ask is that Coker only has the Ford script tires in double whitewalls. I wanted blackwalls but they don't have them or the single whitewalls. Where do you get your tires?

kubes40    -- 03-19-2013 @ 7:18 AM
  Hi Deuce,
Kind of a complicated question you pose here. Let's start with the easy stuff.
Your engine and transmission were assembled during the month of June, 1940. Most likely near the end of June.
That means your car was possibly built in June (could not have been earlier) but most likely later "probably" July.
I get my tires from Coker.
Documents reveal that single white tires were not offered until May 31, 1940. We must realize that does not mean a person could no longer get doubles whites. Rather, I would have to believe double whites remained available for quite some time after that date.
What we also must understand is simply because that document offered May 31st as a "start date" of single whites doe snot mean that was the date they started putting them on cars. It may simply mean that was the day the document was released. Perhaps the singles were already being put on cars and the document "caught up". Or, perhaps the document preceded the supply of single whites to the assembly plants.
the tires most likely did not arrive at each plant and put in to the assembly process on the exact same date.
The bottom line in my opinion? I think your car is perfectly acceptable upon the concourse with double whites or single whites or blacks.

As a side note: 1940 Fords were built with Firestone, Goodyear, Goodrich and of course Ford tires. Firestone and Ford were the main suppliers but many cars were in fact fitted with Goodrich and Goodyear. Perhaps that may open up the offerings from Coker to suit your desires.

deuce_roadster    -- 03-19-2013 @ 11:06 AM
  Hi Mike,
Thanks for that info. That is very helpful like all the other questions that you answer!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5839