Topic: Spark Plug Wire Tubes Missing?

FRITZ47    -- 03-13-2013 @ 7:25 PM
  My engine man said that I need a pair of spark plug wiring tubes on my 1940 Ford engine. I am wondering what type are required? Some use the small stainless steel tubes side by side, and ohers use the one larger tube on each side of the engine. The ones that I have seen are black. Here is a picture of my engine as of yesterday for reference. Also we painted the steering column engine color, but I feel it should be the same dark brown as on the dash board. Could use some advice so that we get it right. If you see anything else that is incorrect, please let me know. Thanks. Fritz

deuce_roadster    -- 03-13-2013 @ 11:15 PM
  Fritz, what is your plan for this car? Are you thinking of having it judged on the concourse at a V8 meet or is your car going to be used for a touring car? The answer to these questions will dictate the answer to your questions about what is "right". You can't go wrong with the original (large black) conduits.

40 Coupe    -- 03-14-2013 @ 5:42 AM
  The originals are the larger style black in color. There are a couple of different styles of the larger conduits, make sure you get the correct ones for 40 85HP if you so desire. The other style is an aftermarket item for appearance. Neither are "Needed" for the car to operate properly. Interesting distributor on your car! I have not seen a vacuum advance on one before. The original 40 distributor as well as 32-48 V8 use just mechanical advance. If you have problems with the car running properly you may want to look into this further. Jim (Bubba) at Linder Technical Services is a distributor expert. 317-487-9460

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 3-14-13 @ 5:57 AM

FRITZ47    -- 03-14-2013 @ 6:57 AM
  Thanks for the help. My '40 was purchased from a widow in PA in December and was all original, other than dual exhausts (has Columbia rear end), and has absolutely no rust. We are doing a 3-month major cosmetic restoration, including new paint and some interior work. Mechanically the car needs nothing. Our goal is not to show the car for major judging, but as with all of my cars, I always go for originality, and updates or improvements are kept as much as original as possible when putting into showroom condition.

At time of purchase the engine color was wrong (was blue) and we did a major under-hood cleanup. The car has a 6-volt Mallory ignition system and since it starts so fast and runs so good, we are not making any changes in the distributor. However everything else will be "as original" to the best of our ability. I plan to locate a set of the original large style spark plug wire covers. If not, I will try to find a used pair and rejuvenate them. Does anyone repro these?

We have a full-time restoration shop and a car museum (35 cars) in Canfield, Ohio and plenty of Fords, including about 6 flatheads and some Model A Fords, as well as a '58 Fire Truck and '59 Convertible. These cars can be seen at www.tipcars.us and if you click on "Contact Us", I will be glad to send a color brochure of the cars in our collection via 1st class mail.

Thanks again for all of the assistance. I really appreciate this. My first car was a 1937 sedan in 1950 ($50 and I drove it home) and I have owned many other flatheads since ('38 coupe, '41 Tudor, '49 Tudor, others) in addition to those owned at present.

Fritz (Fred)

This message was edited by FRITZ47 on 3-14-13 @ 7:00 AM

kubes40    -- 03-14-2013 @ 7:20 AM
  I can supply you correct with NOS plug wire conduits if desired.
You are correct in that the column should be dash color. Attached herein is a photo of a coupe interior. For your purpose, the colors are the same as a convertible.

FRITZ47    -- 03-14-2013 @ 6:42 PM
  Kubes40 said - Quote: "I can supply you correct with NOS plug wire conduits if desired."

I sent you a private message, as am interested in the NOS wire conduits if available. Please get back to me at fzoldcars at comcast dot net

Also thanks for the underside hood pictures. We removed the cross section and are painting it black, with the rest of the hood body color on all sides (maroon). We are making progress and hope to have the car painted in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Fritz

39 Ken    -- 03-29-2013 @ 4:00 AM
  Fritz, In addition to the need for spark plug wire conduits and an original distributor and coil, I think that you'll have to source a Ford carb(you have a Stromberg). And a cast iron manifold if the one you have is aluminum. In any case, the color of the manifold would be engine color. Kube can address these issues better than I. All this of course, is if you plan to display the car as it came from the factory. As an aside, the Columbia was not a Ford accessory but an add on. I'd be glad to swap you that rear for the one in my '39 even up (;>)).The restoration looks to be coming along very nicely.

ford38v8    -- 03-29-2013 @ 11:24 PM
  Fritz, I'm sure you know about the mechanical fuel pump (you must have an electric near the tank), but about the fuel line, you've got a dangerous situation there, running an aluminum fuel line, and with no flex line from firewall to engine making matters worse. Get with Nazewicz for an original type, original manufacture copper plated rolled steel fuel line. For the flexline, the best available is advertised in the V8 Times.

Alan

FRITZ47    -- 03-30-2013 @ 6:05 PM
  Alan said, "Fritz, the fuel line, you've got a dangerous situation there, running an aluminum fuel line, and with no flex line from firewall to engine making matters worse. Get with Nazewicz for an original type, original manufacture copper plated rolled steel fuel line. For the flexline, the best available is advertised in the V8 Times."

I found the ad in the V8 Times for the FH-1 or FH-2V Hose (which one do I need for my 1940?). How do I get in touch with Nazewicz for the origina type copper plated rolled steel fuel line? Not looking for any excitement.

Thanks, Fritz

ford38v8    -- 03-30-2013 @ 6:53 PM
  Fritz, Roy Nacewicz (I always mispell his name) contact info is listed below. Roys phone number is on his website, and he'll be glad to speak with you about your car and your collection and anything else related to Fords. Roy's a very knowledgeable guy and an avid V8er. Roy has what you need: Fuel lines, fittings, fasteners. Roy will also confirm the need for the flexline, and I beleive he will agree with me that the Shewman FH1 hose is as good as it gets. The other with the checkvalve is for guys who believe their gas syphons back to the tank. Something for everybody, I guess. The fuel line is, as it always was, manufactured by the Bundy Corporation in Michigan. Original equipment and still available kinda says something right there.

Roy Nacewicz Enterprises www.fordbolts.com
Concourse correct fasteners

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5822