Topic: 1940 Ford Standard Business Coupe 60hp

dynamicpix    -- 01-24-2013 @ 3:24 PM
  Hi, I have a 1940 Ford Standard Business Coupe 60hp with the opera seats. Does anyone know how many of these cars have been produced? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

This message was edited by dynamicpix on 1-24-13 @ 3:25 PM

kubes40    -- 01-24-2013 @ 4:38 PM
  First, I must commend you on using the correct name for your car. That is, a "business coupe". Too often, folks get this wrong.

Okay, to answer your question...
There were a total of 15047 - 1940 Ford V8
(aka: "standard") business coupes produced.
By 1940, the 60 H.P. engine was falling (fell) out of the little popularity it may have once garnered. Of the total number of Ford V8 business coupes produced, 2028 had the 60 H.P. engine installed. 12985 had the 85 H.P. engine installed.
Rarity? Try to find a factory original 95 H.P. (Mercury engine) equipped Ford V8 business coupe. Only 34 of those were produced.
Kind regards,
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sshore    -- 03-23-2013 @ 6:42 PM
  Mike, thanks for all of the great information.

My dad has a 1940 Standard Business Coupe (85hp) with the fold down "opera" seats. I know that from a previous thread you stated that the base retail price for this car was $660.

How much was the retail price for the "opera" seats?

thanks.

40 Coupe    -- 03-24-2013 @ 4:20 AM
  sshore: The opera seats were not an add on to the 5-Window Coupe to make it a Business Coupe. There are several differences to the sheet metal floor (larger floor area behind the front seat) and body bracing as well as other differences to the interior.

ford38v8    -- 03-24-2013 @ 9:07 AM
  40 Coupe: That's correct, however, opera seats were optional on the Business Coupe. Not sure if they'd even fit on a 5w coupe without some modification.

Alan

sshore    -- 03-24-2013 @ 1:14 PM
  My dad's car is a model 01A-67A which is shown to be a "Standard Business (Opera) Coupe".

I guess the correct question would be, what was the retail price of this specific MODEL since it came standard with "opera" seats.

kubes40    -- 03-24-2013 @ 1:43 PM
  --40 Coupe: That's correct, however, opera seats were optional on the Business Coupe. Not sure if they'd even fit on a 5w coupe without some modification.---
Optional? Really? Alan, where did you find that information?
As far as my research and experience has dictated those auxiliary seats were part and parcel (read: standard equipment) on all business coupes.

ford38v8    -- 03-24-2013 @ 6:31 PM
  Mike, I thought I read it somewhere... I'll see if I can find it.

Alan

kubes40    -- 03-24-2013 @ 6:58 PM
  Alan, If you do find it, please let me know. That would be a "game changer" for many on the concourse.
All the factory literature I have states the auxiliary seats as standard (inclusive) pieces to the vehicle.
thanks,
Mike

kubes40    -- 03-24-2013 @ 7:06 PM
  Sshore,
We need to use the term "suggested retail" rather loosely. Not unlike today, cars then had "suggested retail" prices affixed to them. However, just like today, it was difficult to actually purchase "that" car.
The very basic car you have inquired about had a "suggested retail" of $745.
Factor in commonly added items like a radio, oil filter, perhaps a heater and the price went up quickly.
Factor in the fact your particular model was not that popular vs. other 1940 Ford models and / or if the dealer was trying to clear his showroom and the price may have been reduced below "suggested".
All of the invoices I have witnessed for your particular model showed less than $745. Usually nearer $650 prior to any additional equipment.
Mike

sshore    -- 03-24-2013 @ 9:35 PM
  "Suggested retail" was what I was after. My dad's car was bought new in Buffalo, NY with ZERO options including NO HEATER.

It only has 57,000 miles (documented by each change in ownership resgistration). My dad was just curious as to the original "suggested retail" price for this model.

Thanks very much for the information.

ford38v8    -- 03-24-2013 @ 10:39 PM
  ===Factor in the fact your particular model was not that popular vs. other 1940 Ford models and / or if the dealer was trying to clear his showroom and the price may have been reduced below "suggested".===

MIke, Much more truth in that than most guys know about. Ford made a practice of cramming dealerships with unwanted inventory, literally forcing them to sell below cost to protect the franchise. This was done regardless of the state of the economy, sometimes as a salvation of the Ford Motor Company itself, leaving dealerships to survive or fail, no consequence to Ford. Only the very strongest and most "favored" of dealerships survived the transition from Model T all the way through till WWII. The "favored"? Yes, there was cronyism on top of it all.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5653