Topic: '40 radio

mgbrewer    -- 01-01-2013 @ 5:01 PM
  I am a newbie who just bought a fully restored to original '40 Ford Coupe. This is my first "pre war" classic - I own 2 Mustang Shelby's.
I have been reading some posts to this site, my car does not have a radio and I read that radios were often installed by the dealer. I would like to install a radio but only if it is possible to locate a correct original. Are my expectations too high? Can someone tell me where to start my search?

Appreciate any input.

Mike

deuce_roadster    -- 01-01-2013 @ 8:26 PM
  They show up often both on Craigslist and Ebay as well as the larger swap meets and the classified section of this site. You may notice there were 2 makers Zenith and Philco. The Zenith has a notch in the case to clear the linkage for the cowl vent. Either would be correct for your car, Ford just had more then 1 supplier. Fully restored expect to pay 400 to 500. It may just be a coincidence but I seem to notice more Zeniths here on the West Coast and Philcos in the East. I have been to 20 Hershey swap meets and this is what I have noticed. Philcos are hard to find around here where I live. You will also need to get the correct antenna, there is a closed car one and an open car one. Good luck!

TomO    -- 01-02-2013 @ 11:01 AM
  Mike, if you are not a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club, I recommend that you join and find a Regional Group near your home to also join. The RG members will be able to help you select correct accessories for your car and help keep it running right.

Tom

mgbrewer    -- 01-02-2013 @ 1:47 PM
  Thanks for your help, and I will join the club.

If anyone reading this has or knows of a correct Zenith or Philco radio & antenna for a closed car pls PM me.

Mike

trjford8    -- 01-02-2013 @ 6:44 PM
  Mike, be aware that you have to put a hole in the roof of the car to install the correct antenna.

mgbrewer    -- 01-03-2013 @ 5:34 PM
  Good point. My car has been restored and is very original, I wouldn't want to inadvertently create a problem for myself so I may re-think the radio.

This is my first pre war car and I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW I have joined the club and looking forward to getting involved.

Mike

deuce_roadster    -- 01-03-2013 @ 5:59 PM
  If you buy a new antenna from one of the major dealers like Drake or Carpenter I believe it will come with a template that locates where to make the hole in the top. Not a huge deal if careful.

kubes40    -- 01-03-2013 @ 6:00 PM
  Mike, Good (restored) radios can be had with relative frequency on eBay for less than $500. the reproduction antennas are nearly perfect copies of the originals. It is not difficult to locate and drill the required hole in the roof. In fact, a template is provided with each repop antenna.
As you learn about your '40 and possibly develop questions you will find this site has many helpful guys ready to help.
You can always contact me directly as well.
Have fun with you new "old" car.
Mike Kubarth

trjford8    -- 01-03-2013 @ 6:17 PM
  Mike , welcome aboard to the V-8 Club. I would certainly pass on a radio if I had to drill a hole in the roof of my car.If you need music while you are driving I would buy a cheap small "boom box" and place it on the package shelf. When you get to an event you can hide it in the trunk. You can buy a lot of batteries for the cost of a working original 40 radio. Actually the lack of a radio makes your car more original as it left the factory without one.

4dFordSC    -- 01-04-2013 @ 4:52 AM
  As others have stated, '40 radios can be found on eBay and other sources without too much trouble. A bit more challenging if you're interested in correctness is finding the special, shorter cigarette lighter socket that was required for use with the radio. However, if correctness and/or a functioning lighter is not an issue, simply cut down the standard socket to fit.

kubes40    -- 01-04-2013 @ 6:38 AM
  Good advice about the lighter receptacle. I should have mentioned that.
They do become available. In fact, a NOS one is currently on eBay for $30 (no bids thus far).

4dFordSC    -- 01-04-2013 @ 8:02 AM
  The suggestion about using a battery-powered radio is not bad advice, especially if you want to have a selection of stations for listening. The original radio is AM only, and unless you're lucky the selection of AM stations in your area may be limited (in mine, it's pretty much gospel music and talk radio). IMHO, drilling the holes for the aerial (as the antenna was then called), is a character building experience, but not really that bad. Measure everything twice and use a self-centering punch. The holes can be drilled standing on the running board, but if possible I recommend making scaffold of some sort over the hood so you can drill straight down. Non-walking drill bits are a plus, too.

This message was edited by 4dFordSC on 1-4-13 @ 8:11 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 01-04-2013 @ 8:03 AM
  I am presently using an electronic antenna in my 46 woodie with great results. I don't like drilling holes in original sheet metal so when I installed the radio I also purchased the antenna. I ran the wire up the passenger side windshield moulding and the receiver for the antenna has double sided tape that I secured behind the rear view mirror, so it's almost invisible.

TomO    -- 01-04-2013 @ 8:51 AM
  Drilling the hole is not a big deal. Use 2" masking tape to help prevent chipping the paint and start with a small drill and work up to the correct size.

Tom' suggestion to buy a boom box is a good one as there is very little good entertainment on AM radio. I had a MP-3 port installed in my radio and use a player to get the music that I like. I already had a radio in my car, so I did not want a big box on the seat beside me.

Today, many people use their I-Phone or I-Pad for music as they drive. They are both small enough to fit on the seat and provide music from any era over the internet. The portable XM Radio is another good option for music. They are small enough to fit behind the speaker grill, if you build an enclosure to hold them.

The boom box on the package shelf should be secured so it doesn't come flying by your head in a quick stop.

Tom

mgbrewer    -- 01-04-2013 @ 4:25 PM
  What a GREAT welcome!! All your responses are truly appreciated. I am really keen on originality and I have taken the comment to heart about not putting a radio in the car and keeping it as original as I can. I wouldn't be able to prove that the radio was dealer installed so why go there. Are there any records similar to the Marti Report available for this vintage?

Mike

TomO    -- 01-05-2013 @ 8:07 AM
  If the factory had any records of specific cars, they were destroyed in the fire at the Rotunda.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=5575