Topic: 40 Convertible door glass

ragtop40    -- 07-22-2012 @ 7:30 AM
  Need some advice. I'm ready to re-install the door windows, but don't know the proper procedure. It has been apart for 20 years, and I don't recall how I took them out! The glass assembly won't go in from the top, (unless I remove the vent assembly???) And, does not look like it can go in from the bottom. I'm sure there is somebody out there who has done this. Thanks!

supereal    -- 07-22-2012 @ 7:35 AM
  I've never done a '40 convertible, but to install the glass in my '47ragtop, the vent window assembly and channel had to come out, then is replaced after the glass is in place so the channe holds the front edge of the window. The heavy frames make the job easier with help.

ragtop40    -- 07-22-2012 @ 1:50 PM
  Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Anybody else done this???

ragtop40    -- 07-25-2012 @ 4:58 PM
  OK, spent about 4 hours putting the windows back in today. One side works perfectly (for a 72 year old car,) and the other side is working, but window assembly rocks too much in the channel. It does not have a '40 regulator (not sure what it came from, was there when I bought it,)but I'm not done tweaking it yet. Should be useable.

This message was edited by ragtop40 on 7-25-12 @ 7:05 PM

supereal    -- 07-25-2012 @ 8:44 PM
  Convertibles use a heavy duty regulator to handle the framed glass. When I bought my '47, it had a non stock regulator in the passenger side door that couldn't operate the glass. I spent weeks looking for the correct regulator, and finally found one. It was described as being in "near mint" condition to justify the asking price. When I got it, it was a mess, and we had to wire weld new teeth and shape them with a die grinder. It takes nine turns of the crank to move the glass all the way. Your best bet is to try to find a correct one, which will be tough, but not impossible. As you probably already know, convertibles are usually different in many ways, making restoration a real challenge.

TomO    -- 07-26-2012 @ 8:46 AM
  Regulator Roy advertises that he has most regulators for Fords. He advertises in the V-8 Times and Hemmings.

Tom

ragtop40    -- 07-29-2012 @ 7:11 PM
  Thanks, TomO.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4961