Topic: Ford Jack

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 07-16-2012 @ 7:34 AM
  I was cleaning my storage and found this jack, it has St. Joseph Mich on one side and " to lower insert handle here and press down lightly " on the other. The jack is CAST ??? metal as is the base and the jack handle piece is for a round jack handle. The round mast is 27 1/2' to 27 9/16" the square doomed dimpled base is 5 1/2' X 5 1/2" I looked in the 38 39 Ford Book and the 41 48 Ford Book they look similar but not the same maybe 39 40 Mercury or Lincoln ?? looking for help thanks. See attached photo.

40 Coupe    -- 07-16-2012 @ 9:20 AM
  I guess your wondering if this is the correct jack for 1940 Ford? It is not. It is very symilar but the Ford jack uses a flat (not round) handle. The base pictured appears to be correct for 40 Ford

ford38v8    -- 07-16-2012 @ 1:23 PM
  I believe what you have there is a Brand X jack.

Alan

TomO    -- 07-17-2012 @ 7:47 AM
  The Mercury used the same jack as the Ford. The shaft for both was lengthened in 1939 to allow the jack to be used on the Mercury. Early 39 Fords could have a jack with a shorter shaft, but all Mercurys in 39 and 40 used the longer shaft. I don't have the shaft lengths any more as that was in material donated to the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum. They have an almost complete set of Branch letters for 1940.

Tom

kubes40    -- 07-17-2012 @ 1:54 PM
  The correct Auto Specialties jack that is similar to the one depicted earlier in this thread was introduced very late in 1937 and used through 1940 for all Ford passenger cars as well as Mercury. The shaft is approximately 26 1/2". I am not aware of the Mercury jack shaft being longer and have to wonder why that would have been necessary. I do know the Lincoln jack (shaft) was substantially longer and can understand the need in that instance.
Maybe Lin Stacey can weigh in here?
By the way, the jack depicted earlier in this thread is very similar to the jack used in '39 Chevy's and possibly '40 as well.
Auto Specialties supplied jacks to many automobile manufacturers as well as parts dealers; Coast to Coast, Sears & Roebuck, etc.

TomO    -- 07-20-2012 @ 8:32 AM
  Mike, the shaft length was increased for the 1939 cars due to the shape of the rear wheel opening in the fender on the 39 Mercury. There was a Branch letter in my collections, stating this. This collection is available in the EFV-8F Museum in Auburn.

Ford and Mercury both used the same jack, and the shafts were the same length in 1940. The jack will just get the rear wheel of my car off of the ground and leaves very little room to get a fully inflated tire out from under the fender. The optional 6.50x 16 tires cannot be changed on the rear with the standard Ford Jack.

Tom

kubes40    -- 07-21-2012 @ 8:34 AM
  TomO,
After reading your most recent response I went back to my "library" and found the exact information you suggested.
I continue to learn.
Thanks!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4941