Topic: Ford Philco Radio

twowolves_colorado    -- 07-14-2012 @ 1:44 AM
  Hi, I am the new owner of a beautifully restored 1940 sedan. I would like to get a Ford/Philco radio for it. Does anybody know where I can buy a NOS correct radio, or a reasonable reproduction if I cant find NOS? THANKS in Advance

kubes40    -- 07-14-2012 @ 4:52 AM
  Reproductions have never been made. Watch eBay carefully as correct radios do show up quite frequently. There is one guy that sells reconditioned units. As I recall they are $375 which is quite fair.
Zenith and Philco supplied radios for the 1940 Ford. Either is correct.

twowolves_colorado    -- 07-14-2012 @ 8:40 PM
  THANKS for the information. I have checked EBAY, and nothing is there yet.

I dont want to add anything visible to the car that is not stock or does not look correct. But my kids like to play IPODS and other portable devices. I wonder if there is a recommendation on the best way to hide something under the dash, or glove box that will play MP3 files? I am wondering how to hide speakers behind the seat fabric with a sound system hidden under the dash?

TomO    -- 07-15-2012 @ 6:13 PM
  A stock 1940 radio can be easily modified to accept a MP3 player. I like the Zenith radio better than the Philco and they seem to be more available than the Philco.

To modify the radio have the radio tech hide the jack in an accessible place on the bottom of the radio and wire it so that it disconnects the antenna when the jack is used and the output of the jack goes to the final amplifier.

Tom

brobrobro    -- 05-22-2014 @ 11:21 AM
  I have the original radio in a Tudor my parents bought new, I have had it reconditioned and the dial works but the push button does not quite engage. Any advice ?

TomO    -- 05-23-2014 @ 8:30 AM
  Take it back to the person that reconditioned it. He did not reassemble it correctly.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4932