Topic: 1940 Locking Gas Cap

Lincoln    -- 06-01-2012 @ 1:13 PM
  Is there only one "correct" locking gas cap for the 1940? And did it have the lid with the prominent teardrop-shaped raised "flipper" on the lid? All the Ford-published information I have reviewed indicates that the lid had this "flipper", and suggests it was used through at least 1946.
A Buffalo Service Letter of Nov.9,1939 announced its release as: "Gas tank locking gas cap has been redesigned giving it a modernistic appearance. A red band around the top adds to its attractiveness and blends with the color of the lens in the rear lamp of the car". The cap was assigned 01A-18416-A part number.
That said: Several NOS locking gas caps have been found over the years- some in their original boxes and some without- that have two design lids. One design with the prominent "flipper", while the other lid has two slightly depressed areas (like two thumb prints) which form a lightly raised ridge for grasping and swinging the lid to one side. These two type caps appear to be the same otherwise, and were made by STANT. All but one had the red-painted band (unlike the repros, these were a darker red very similar to the original color of the tail lamp lens).
One of these NOS "dimpled" caps has "Dual-Loc" stamped in the surface of the cap underneath the lid, but is not painted. Another "dimpled'cap is painted and in a Dual-Loc/Stant box labled "G-55", which obviously was a replacement cap.
There also appears to have been at least two different suppliers of keys (and maybe the lock cylinders) for these caps, with both being stamped "GAS". One key set was stamped "ILCO" while the other "B&S" (for Briggs & Stratton).
My question is: which one is correct? Or are both the "flipper" and "dimpled" style caps correct?

Lincoln

kubes40    -- 06-01-2012 @ 2:31 PM
  Hi Bob,
Like you, I have had (and have) numerous variations of NOS caps, most in the boxes. If we do not consider caps made for replacement after the 1940 model year I can tell you what my research has found.
All locks were supplied by Briggs & Stratton. ILCO was most certainly a replacement.
All keys had "GAS" on them as well as other markings, such as the key code number, Milwaukee, WI. and Briggs & Stratton.
NO Dual-loc - those definitely were later than '40.
I agree that the red on the repop caps is much brighter than the authentic shade.
The caps with the more prominent flipper seems to have shown up post war.

40 Coupe    -- 06-02-2012 @ 4:48 AM
  I agree with KUBE, his photo is of the only authorized style of 1940 Ford locking gas cap.

std1940    -- 06-02-2012 @ 8:12 AM
  What paint color would you use to create the proper shade of red?
Thanks Tom.

kubes40    -- 06-02-2012 @ 4:49 PM
  Tom, If you want off the shelf paint, RustOleum Burgundy #7768 is real close.
The red you see on repop hubcaps, trunk emblems, surrounding the hood script, etc. is much to "red".

std1940    -- 06-03-2012 @ 6:04 AM
  Kube,
Thanks for info.
Tom

Lincoln    -- 06-03-2012 @ 2:49 PM
  Thanks Kube for info on the locking gas cap. So as I understand it, the more prominent FLIPPER style cap came in after 1940. But why then do Ford's various forms of literature on the 1940 Accessories show what appears to be the flipper style? I can furnish descriptions and Form numbers of those I do have, all of which show the flipper cap. Also,the Nov.1939 Ford Service Merchandising Bulletin shows an illustrators view of what looks like the flipper cap. This Bulletin covered the 1940 Accessories.
Several different Accessory folders for the 1941 (and even later years) also show the flipper cap.
Maybe my description of the "FLIPPER" cap versus the less-pronounced "DIMPLED" cap is confusing. If so, I can photograph the dimpled cap and "TRY" posting it on here (have not posted before).
Your post of the cap with its original carton does show what I describe as the flipper cap, not the dimpled cap. This carton appears to be a grayish color. Correct? Or is it orange colored? I believe Ford instituted the gray colored packaging in late 1940 or 1941, while the orange packaging was initiated in about 1935. I mention this as sometimes this is one way to help pinpoint when the particular part was actually made and released. Of course, we are talking about parts that were in the Dealer's Service stock at the time, so this is subject to error, as parts of newer design could have been substituted for an older design. But I doubt if much of this was done, as the Dealer would have displayed the latest (packaging), since most of them were "judged" and received extra points for up-to-date parts displays (a separate subject all by itself).
I also noticed that the metal part on the bottom of your cap is stamped "A", and not "B" as all the Ford caps i have seen. Maybe a difference in "venting" versus "nonventing", or size?
I hope the above is timely to the subject.
Lincoln

kubes40    -- 06-03-2012 @ 6:55 PM
  Hi Bob, The box is gray (prominent color).
The cap is vented for certain.

As you are well aware the advertising was often way ahead of the "real world" or way behind.

I don't rely on brochures too much when I research. They are fun and can be helpful but I have learned the hard way on more than one occasion how wrong they can be when applied to "concourse correct".

As time allows I'll dig out my other caps. I know the type you are referring to as "flipper".
I am not certain but years ago (1975ish) I was led to believe there was a different cap for the pick up trucks. I never pursued that but wonder if there is truth to it.

40fordor    -- 06-05-2012 @ 1:51 PM
  Kube and others, Bob Drake's SPRING & SUMMER SALE catalog has pictures of both types of 40 licking caps on page 98. His repros and non stock caps are displayed along with his comments on the caps. I make no claim to knowledge of his information.
I have a very original 40 that has a locking gas cap that has a slide-cover over the key hole that has ridges to match the stainless trim. It was on the car when I purchased it but I am sure it is aftermarket.
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4730