Topic: 40 ford hood mounting

greggo    -- 01-26-2012 @ 10:27 AM
  trying to figure where mounting points on a 40 ford hood are when the shoulderd nuts for the hinge have been cut out. also i am trying to find mounting points for the hinge where they mount on the cowl and on the cowl/firewall lip?

itstom    -- 01-26-2012 @ 6:45 PM
  Hi Greggo-
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and most of them are eager to help a guy out. But you have to help them help you. Start by reading you post out loud to yourself. Does it make sense to you? If not, you could try rewording it and post again.

If it does make sense to you, well, you might want to rethink your choice of hobbies.

Is the car in decent overall shape (other than no hood)? You may want to sell it and get yourself a Camry.

TomO    -- 01-27-2012 @ 6:39 AM
  Grego, please ignore the previous reply. There was no need to tell you to change your hobby or buy a Camry.

The mounting points on the hood are on the cross brace. If this has been cut out, I would look for another hood.

Could you try to post some photos of your cowl and hood, so we could see your problem?

Tom

greggo    -- 01-27-2012 @ 12:44 PM
  Tom thanks for replying. i will try to figure out how to post the pictures but not very handy with the computer. i got some pictures of a 40 hood mounting points and fixed the hood. i am trying to find exact mounting points for the hinge. when i mounted the hood it did not go all the way down at the cowl ,3/4" up in the air. instead of drilling holes everywhere and moving hinge and/or hood shoulder nuts,i was hoping to find enough information to get as close to factory original as possible. then i can adjust from there.

TomO    -- 01-27-2012 @ 3:32 PM
  I cannot give you any measurements, but maybe Mike Kubarth will be able to help you.

To post photos:
Reply to this topic and click the box next to IMAGE ATTACHMENT just below the reply box. This will open a window that shows the files on your computer. Go to the folder with your photo in it and select the photo, then click open.

I hope that this helps you

Tom

trjford8    -- 01-27-2012 @ 8:10 PM
  greggo, do you have the hinges mounted to the cowl sides using the factory holes? if you have them mounted on the factory holes then you can adjust the hood so it comes down in the back.I know this sounds strange , but you will have to tip the hinges up to make the hood come down in the back.The holes at the front of the cowl are slotted so you can move the hinges up or down.

supereal    -- 01-28-2012 @ 11:43 AM
  To add to the good advice, if you're posting photos, be sure to reduce them to a smaller size if your camera produces huge ones, like mine. A good choice is usually no larger than 5X7. Be sure they are posted in "JPEG" format, which compresses the photo, and allows transmission in a reasonable time. A good photo program, such as Adobe, will be a big help. As for the hood mounting, very small adjustments make a big difference, so the mounts have to be correctly placed. The rear of the hood drops into place as the hood is almost closed, and the links go "over center". Your best bet, if possible, is to find, examine, and measure an unaltered '40 car. Perhaps my friend Kube, a '40 guru, already has the figures. Even with all parts in place, adjusting a hood to close can require a colorful vocabulary and a patience expander!

greggo    -- 01-30-2012 @ 5:47 AM
  Thanks for the reply's.The problem is the firewall was almost completly cut out, put in a good stock one, but as this is myfirst car ,i welded all the holes shut .I was able to get close from what was left of the old firewall, holes were 3/4"long and 1/2"wide so i went with a happy medium. I have not elongated the holes but I have got the hood to open and shut, now just trying to get my gaps. The hood had original braces but all the nuts had been torched out so i was able to look at a hood that the braces were fairly stock and got measurments and pictures to fix my hood. Colorful language and expanded patience about used up.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4268