Topic: Inner fender panel differences

deuce_roadster    -- 01-10-2012 @ 3:26 PM
  Mike, can you help with identifying these inner fender panels? All of my fenders that have them still attached are the same, no reinforcing,2 holes in front with nothing attached to them. I have several loose panels that have slight differences. Notice the "L" shaped bracket on this one that lines up with a hole on the top of the frame. This is the only panel I have that has this piece riveted on, it has a reinforcement behind the rivits. All the others just have the rivit holes.

kubes40    -- 01-10-2012 @ 7:32 PM
  There were at least three different designs of these pans.
The one with the small bracket near the front that utilized a bolt to the frame was 1939.
By 1940 that bracket was eliminated. In the interim, some pans were installed with the two holes but no bracket. Very early '40.
I have yet to witness any of these pans with the small bracket riveted on. Rather, they have all been spot welded.
Most of the '40 production utilized pans with no holes for that small bracket.
To better make sense of the redesigns: In 1939 the front clip was quite rigidly attached to both the cowl and the frame. In 1940 apparently Ford decided to allow the front clip to float a bit. Most likely to aid the front sheet metal alignment and to alleviate any stress brought on by the frame twisting, etc.
As you know there was the addition in 1940 of that large "wishbone" brace that bolted in the center of the front cross member as well as to each inner panel. This also coincided with the installation of rubber bumpers near the brake lines vs. the bolts in 1939.
Hope this helps a bit...
Mike

deuce_roadster    -- 01-10-2012 @ 9:32 PM
  Thanks Mike, I didn't know that bracket meant it was a 39 part. I guess if I use non bracketd panels that match, the judges should be good with that. From what you are saying my late car shouldn't have any holes for that L shaped bracket, the early one could have the holes. Thanks again for being such a great resource!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4197