Topic: firewall insulator

deuce_roadster    -- 01-05-2012 @ 9:28 AM
  Mike, Who's firewall insulator do you like to use on your restorations? Are they all ABS plastic?
I think I have enough of the original pegs/fasteners that hold it on. "Backorder Bob's" fasteners seem to be too big for the holes and just colapse when you try to install them. At least that is what I observed on a friends car.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

supereal    -- 01-05-2012 @ 2:50 PM
  I can't speak for my friend, Mike, but the best firewall insulators we have used are from LeBaron Bonney. They are molded fiberglass with the original texture. They also sell the insulator mounting studs. Their website is www.lebaronbonney.com

Stroker    -- 01-05-2012 @ 3:58 PM
  I installed a fiberglass insulator in my 38 back in the 70's. It looks right, fits right, and
doesn't distort over time (40 years). I sourced it from "Backorder Bob" when he was still in So-Cal., and hadn't earned the currently fashionable nom de plume.

trjford8    -- 01-05-2012 @ 8:41 PM
  I'm not sure if the fiberglass unit is still made. Most of the dealers now carry the ABS unit made by Quietride industries in Stockton ,Ca. I also like the fiberglass unit, but I haven't seen them for sale for quite some time.

kubes40    -- 01-06-2012 @ 7:22 AM
  The ABS ones are in my opinion the best available repops at this time. Not quite correct but the best available.
I like to get them when possible without the holes as I have found that some of the (pre) installed holes don't line up correctly to the actual vehicles.
The insulating pad is not correct per authenticity either. I change that but remember, I am most likely a bit more "picky" than most restorers.
The last few I purchased from Carpenter. I am guessing all the places (Carp's,Drake,Mac's,etc) get them from the same supplier.
Kind regards,
Mike

deuce_roadster    -- 01-06-2012 @ 9:39 AM
  Thanks Mike and to all who responded. It is good to know that there is probably only one manufacturer. I have an original that is all crumbling but I think I can save and reuse the jute type insulation.
My goal is to have my 40 Del wagon ready for the Western National Meet in Redmond. It is good to have a hard deadline!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4185