Topic: Hood ornament and hood latch adjustment

wmgmitchell    -- 11-27-2011 @ 7:01 PM
  I'm installing a new hood ornament and latch and i'm having trouble getting the latch to work. It's almost impossible to close and put the latch all the way down. To be honest, I've broken two ornaments and I'm at my wits end. Help!!

kubes40    -- 11-28-2011 @ 8:07 AM
  Can you operate the handle with the hood open? You would of course need to "trip" the safety latch.
IF the mechanism works with the hood open, I'd suggest the alignment with the hood / grille is too far off and that must be corrected.
Is this a "standard" (Ford V8) or deluxe model?

wmgmitchell    -- 11-28-2011 @ 2:14 PM
  Thanks Kubes. First, the car is a deluxe coupe, and no, the handle won't operate with the hood open.

Before I installed (or tried to install) a new ornament, the hood would latch, though it took quite a bit of effort to close the latch. Now, after re-installing the original ornament and handle, it took huge effort to get the hood to latch and even then, the handle wouldn't go down all the way. In the process of doing this, the tip at the base of the ornament broke. Now, I've bought a new ornament and will give it another shot.

Is there a way to adjust the hood or latch so that it will close and lock easier?

alanwoodieman    -- 11-28-2011 @ 3:53 PM
  on my 40 delux I found that the new hood rubber bumpers were either too stiff or too tall . Did you replace these?

wmgmitchell    -- 11-28-2011 @ 5:03 PM
  Alan, I replaced all the bumpers before replacing the ornament and yes, because they're so much larger, it made it much more difficult to close the hood. Should I shave them down?

wmgmitchell    -- 11-28-2011 @ 5:14 PM
  Alan, I replaced all the bumpers before replacing the ornament and yes, because they're so much larger, it made it much more difficult to close the hood. Should I shave them down?

kubes40    -- 11-29-2011 @ 6:56 AM
  The fact that you can't operate the handle with the hood open is indicative of an incorrect installation and / or incorrect parts.
The rubber bumpers on the hood can cause interference but you are obviously not to that point as yet.
I can send detailed photos to you if I can have your email address. Together we can get this fixed.
Let me know.
Mike Kubarth

wmgmitchell    -- 11-29-2011 @ 9:05 AM
  Thanks very much, Mike! You're a treasure! Here's my email address: billgmitch*ll@gmail.com

I look forward to getting the information. This thing is driving me nuts!

wmgmitchell    -- 11-29-2011 @ 2:05 PM
  Mike, reading my last post, I note that I had a bad character in my email address. The correct address is: billgmitch*ll@gmail.com.

Sorry

wmgmitchell    -- 11-29-2011 @ 4:44 PM
  For some reason, the site is putting an asterisk in place of the "e" in my name. Email adders is billgmitch*ll@gmail.com.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-29-2011 @ 5:30 PM
  I shaved mine down, also the latch will NOT operate with the hood up unless you push up on the release that is pushed up when you close the hood,look under the "T" bar and you will see the latch, this is so you will not close the hood with the latched closed

kubes40    -- 11-29-2011 @ 5:54 PM
  Bill is it? I'll get the photos to you ASAP.
Mike

wmgmitchell    -- 11-30-2011 @ 5:57 AM
  Yes, it's Bill and thank you, Mike

One thing I found is that the large spring from the crown of the hood to the upper control rod was missing.

Bill

trjford8    -- 11-30-2011 @ 7:24 AM
  That spring is a very important part of the operation of the hood mechanism.

kubes40    -- 11-30-2011 @ 8:40 AM
  Bill, I am just now sending a number of photos to your email account. Please let me know if they help. If you need anything else '40 related, never hesitate to email me direct...
Mike Kubarth

Stroker    -- 11-30-2011 @ 10:42 AM
  Bill: It's nothing personal. The site prevents us from posting the ee-el-el sequence of letters so we won't swear as much in print as we do in person. It also has been suggested that
it should censor the spelling of Che*rolet.

wmgmitchell    -- 12-01-2011 @ 6:02 AM
  This is a huge help and I'm grateful to have this resource. I'm going to put it all back together, with the missing spring and following the photos. I'll report back on the results. Thank you all very much!

Bill

wmgmitchell    -- 12-01-2011 @ 6:03 AM
  This is a huge help and I'm grateful to have this resource. I'm going to put it all back together, with the missing spring and following the photos. I'll report back on the results. Thank you all very much!

Bill

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4033