Topic: Installing hot water heater in a 1940 Ford

seems39    -- 08-04-2011 @ 6:43 AM
  We have the engine out of a 40 Ford. We have a hot water heater for a 40 & are thinking of installing it in the car. With the engine out we could drill the holes in the firewall easily. But our problem is where to put/locate the holes? Is there anyone who you may know that may have a diagram or know where to get one? I suspect the dealers may of had a template to figure out where the water tube holes should go. I would gladly pay for one.
Our engine is all rebuilt & getting close to the time to put it in.
Thanks for any help you may give.
Mike Ready
mreadys@tds.net

TomO    -- 08-04-2011 @ 8:48 AM
  Here is a copy of the template. Measure the distance of the holes to make sure that you have printed it full size.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-4-11 @ 8:49 AM

TomO    -- 08-04-2011 @ 8:51 AM
  Sorry the photo did not get attached. Here it is.

The template is mounted on the inside of the car and located by the accelerator mounting bracket. Drill the holes
from the inside.

The next reply gives the instillation instructions
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-4-11 @ 8:55 AM

TomO    -- 08-04-2011 @ 8:58 AM
  Here are the instructions

Tom

37 Coupe    -- 08-04-2011 @ 9:37 AM
  Importantly note the instructions are for locating the template inside the firewall. Don't try to locate template on outside of restored firewall with engine still out and thinking you have template facing correct way. Don't ask how I know and it was a 39 Deluxe with almost identical template.

supereal    -- 08-05-2011 @ 10:00 AM
  Drilling the holes for the core pipes without the engine in place is risky, as there may not be sufficient clearance for the hoses and clamps, depending upon the maker of the heater. That is why you often see extra firewall holes. When I bought my '47, it had a Chevy pickup heater in it! The firewall have to be repaired to accomodate the correct unit. I moved it slightly to the right from the usual center position to allow better hose routing. Most heaters require some tubing spacers over the mounting studs, so be sure you have them, or the core may be damaged.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-14-11 @ 10:27 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=3515